Welcome from Warsaw, Poland

garfik

I mean this Poland in the middle of Europe, to be exact :D I'm sorry for my terrible English, but hope you will be able to understand me.

In simple words, i envy you. As i know, in America owner of the land is also owner of everything buried in his / hers ground, right?

You may not believe, but here, in Poland, everything under the surface - when I say this, I mean EVERYTHING - belongs to the state. Even if you dig in your garden, theoretically all what you get you have to hand over to the state.

And, if you want to hunt for treasure in forest... You're very bad. Almost all the country is one big archeological site, so any digging (without permission from local conservation officer) makes you a criminal.

And that's why I decided to recall my old hobby. I don't like oppressive laws so I bought a simple Chinese detector (known in the USA as "Harbor Freight 9 function MD; here it's known as Marquant) and I'm going to hunt for treasures buried in our woods :p

Sorry to hear your laws are so oppressive, good luck, and I hope you dont get caught !

Welcome to the forum from Western NY USA

:fmdfwelcome:

Jak Cie Masz ! Sorry to hear that you cannot dig anywhere without permission or risk getting into trouble. Good luck and I hope you find many good things.

Welcome from South Carolina !!!!

Your English is fine !

Maybe if you could get the local conservation officer interested in metal detecting and they could be a hunting buddy and permission would not be a problem, just an idea !

diggin4clad - mam sie dobrze, dzieki! You made my day :D

GKL - there are two attitudes in Warsaw archeological circle.

First - from University of Warsaw - "diggers aren't as bad as we think, maybe we could collaborate...?"

And the second one - another university called UKSW - "no, no way! Those amateurs only ruin, we should shoot them all!"

But, there's no chance to simply talk to officers and be absolutely legal. Not here. So, we have to act in underground :p

Btw, about 30 years ago Poland was called "people's republic of...". Virtually everything was forbidden, maybe besides screaming "Long live the Party!", and digging was somehow less stressful... :p

Welcome to the forum, your English is fine.
I hope they change those terrible laws over there!

diggin4clad - mam sie dobrze, dzieki! You made my day :D

GKL - there are two attitudes in Warsaw archeological circle.

First - from University of Warsaw - "diggers aren't as bad as we think, maybe we could collaborate...?"

And the second one - another university called UKSW - "no, no way! Those amateurs only ruin, we should shoot them all!"

But, there's no chance to simply talk to officers and be absolutely legal. Not here. So, we have to act in underground :p

Btw, about 30 years ago Poland was called "people's republic of...". Virtually everything was forbidden, maybe besides screaming "Long live the Party!", and digging was somehow less stressful... :p

Well while I don't want to recommend doing anything that will get you in trouble, if you do dig without permission just be careful to leave things as nice as before you dug, and maybe have some camouflage like this :lol: (just kidding)
camoman2detect.jpg

Also, if people hunt for game in the woods be careful not to get shot !

Maybe if you know anyone that owns private farm land they will let you dig after the harvest.

grafik, witam na forum. Twój angielski jest w porządku. Welcome to the forum. Your English is fine. :)

Garfik, you seem to admit, yourself, in post #5, that opinions on the supposed laws vary there. And you can find "dire sounding " statements from archie-minded persons. Well gee, what did you EXPECT to come from a purist Archie? They hate all md'rs after all. Hence I put very little stock into what they say. You will only get the safe answer to a "pressing question ". When in fact no one besides them cares less.

I assure you that there are md'rs in Poland, right now, that are having no problem finding places to hunt. Just avoid 1) obvious historic sensitive Monuments, and 2) purist archies. Presto: problem solved.

Hello from the Great Plains

Welcome from Nebraska! I look forward to hearing about your finds. Be careful though, here in America many of the archaeological groups frequent websites to find out if non-archaeologists are finding stuff in off limit areas. I know folks have been prosecuted because they posted some finds on the internet.

Welcome again!

Back
Top Bottom