• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

I seem to find more interesting things at work than metal detecting

woodbutcher

Forum Supporter
Was removing some 20 foot overgrown arbavita bushes,actual cedar trees is what they looked like now.lol.But i saw a tail sticking out of the bottom,looked inside and a big old blacksnake was lounging in there,,a good 7 feet long and as thick as a beer can .Left him alone, figured he was waiting on a bird to land.

Same house,along the sidewalk was a fat timber rattler, probably one of the biggest I've ever seen yet.. Definitely snake city Central at that neighborhood.

Attachments

• IMG_20180913_142449.jpg
    IMG_20180913_142449.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 370
  • IMG_20180913_142529.jpg
    IMG_20180913_142529.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 354
  • Resized952018082995162512.jpg
    Resized952018082995162512.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 370
Last edited:
Beautiful black snake, they are good to have. That rattler really is a fatty. I’d avoid her lol

Bounty hunter - treasure hunter - cabelas
Best find to date - 15g platinum ring

Lots of people who don't work in trees and bushes just see a nice tree or a bush..But that's not a branch in the center if that picture,it's a big snake..Trees and shrubs are a breeding ground for alot of unforseen hazards.

I thought so.lol..i should carry a sack and see if I can trade them for silver:laughing:

In FL you can. There are signs in places that say we buy rattler skins. They make stuff with them. I bet that size one was like 10 ounce of silver. Pretty sure there are not many regulations on harvesting them either unlike gator which you'd need permits.

In FL you can. There are signs in places that say we buy rattler skins. They make stuff with them. I bet that size one was like 10 ounce of silver. Pretty sure there are not many regulations on harvesting them either unlike gator which you'd need permits.

The only regulation is DONT GET BITTEN :laughing: cool finds! I dont mind snakes, its large spiders I dont like :lol:

Some good snake pics. That rattler is a fat one.

Oh yes but not in SE PA, the Eastern Timber. They are found almost everywhere else in PA and common in the mountainous regions.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timber_rattlesnake
There are also Copper heads and Cotton mouths in PA.

Very interesting information! I've seen a copperhead here before, but thankfully he was not alive...

I just had to remove a black racer in my garage yesterday. It was hiding underneath stuff and hissing. When I shined a light on him could see him hissing with his tongue. Such funny mannerisms. I chased him out with a broom.

Didn't know we had rattle snakes in PA

Oh yeah,I’m in blairsville ,,Indiana county and we have a lot of them,especially in Derry..I usto go to emporium pa for the annual rattle snake hunt they have every year,,guys would come out of the rocky woods with chop sacks full of timber rattlers.
As for black snakes,I saw one so big once that I Honestly don’t think anyone would believe me if I told them.It was along a riverbank where the floodwaters left a mound of debris,looked like a brush pile..But that black snake was laying n top,every bit of 10 feet long and looked like a freaking anaconda laying on that pile of debris.

Back
Top Bottom