Anyone got the hot weather blues..?

ual10

Last time I got out detecting was about a week and half ago at the Jersey shore while on vacation, I can't tolerate this dry/ hot weather, most important the dry hard ground. I personally don't like digging plugs and killing grass on ground that is rock hard. Anyone else stop hunting in this kind of weather..? ,C'mon Rain...

yep i haven't been out since last week when i was also at the jersey shore, i thought a storm was gonna roll thru tonight to soften up this rock hard dirt but i guess not....maybe tomorrow. if i really start gettin the itch i'll look for a nice wood chip tot lot ta hit :lol:

Last edited:
I stop detecting because of the hot weather. We also need rain here. I can't wait til it is over so I can start detecting 6~8 hours a day. :rain:

Its been hot here but up till about 12 days ago we had had plenty of rain, ground in some areas is getting pretty hard to dig. cant wait till the fall/winter.

I've got one more day of weather under 95 (which is my limit) and then it's 100-103 for the next 4 days =/

95+ for the next week. The ground is dry as a bone, it has not rained in over a week and a half.

I kid you not, the dog shook itself, and a big cloud of dust came off of it!:shock:

We need rain badly. I can't dig until then, the ground is like pea gravel.

I have been out one time in two weeks. If all goes well, I plan on taking a one hour hunt tomorrow or the next day in the early morning before the temp gets real high. It it supposed to be in the upper 90's and low 100's for the next 4-5 days. In the woods, under the leaf litter, it should still be fairly easy digging. One bad thing though, the "seed ticks" are here now.

Doug

it's certainly hot

But I just had to get out. I carried a wet towel. Two in fact, one around my neck and one stayed in the cooler in the truck. Jut took it easy. Sure wasn't bothered by anyone in an area that might otherwise invite visitors and muggles. Had one of my better days in a local park. Lots of potential. Found two wheats and about 5 bucks in clad. It's old enough, should find some silver. I will be back. :D

Boy i do! I got out last night and at about 8:30 it was still 89 degrees. I saw two toddlers burst into flames. It was horrible!!

Last time I got out detecting was about a week and half ago at the Jersey shore while on vacation, I can't tolerate this dry/ hot weather, most important the dry hard ground. I personally don't like digging plugs and killing grass on ground that is rock hard. Anyone else stop hunting in this kind of weather..? ,C'mon Rain...

It's been hot and dry here too in Baltimore. Real Humid. Ive been going to my farm spots the last. Few day's so I don't mess up grass. Farmer don't mind me diggin in the fields.

I have been detecting thru the 100 degree heat. Just going slow & stay in the shade. Lots of water. Making a few finds. Three sivers last week. Very tuff hunting,

I don't have to worry about killing grass in the parks around here. It's all dead. There is this sickening crunchy sound as i walk around hunting. As for the heat, after an hour or so I start digging less and less until I am just basically looking for surface finds :lol:

I totally understand your pain, 105 to 110 last week, this week is 98, it did rain two inchs over the weekend grass shot up a inch, now I got to cut it, in hot weather you got to cut high so you don't kill it. It's so hot that 15 minutes outside and everything you have on is wet..., have a bad lung and heart, but I keep trying just 15 to 20 minutes at a time

Fortunately and unfortunately.....

Fortunately I can still handle the heat by hydrating and taking breaks to get into the shade to cool off some....but unfortunately I have to slow down my MDing for a bit while I do another outdoor hot weather job...cut, split and stack firewood for next year! So there is no way for me to get around the heat...I would love to go hunt a totyard and might even sneak away at lunchtime and go do just that!

But this afternoon after work, its back to the firewood grind for me. I got a large tree down, taken out by the power company...and someone came and started working on it but after they got the easy stuff they made six cuts in the butt of the trunk but quit cause the cuts closed up on them...did not apparently have the tools or the knowledge as to how to finish what they started! Landowner told me that I could take all I wanted and there is a cord or more of firewood in that trunk...and I know how to get it....started that project last nite when when my no. 1 saw refused to start...its in the shop now and I have tuned up and sharpened saw no. 2...so will be at it to get some big rounds and split them tonite, get on a trailer and off to the house...I am good for about 3 trips doing that and then am too tired and hot to mess with it...ain't it fun to have clothes soakin wet and not even have jumped in the lake????? :lol::lol::lol::lol:

I been heatin most of my house with wood for the past 25 years...one day I am gonna jest get too darned old to fool with this!

Back
Top Bottom