Hiya from Minnesota.

Jamezterr

Heya, just wanted to introduce myself a bit.

I'm 21 years old, my name is James and I just love anything thats old, it doesn't matter what it is, heck I even drive a 1961 Comet.
I live in an area called " The Iron Range " .

I always loved messing around with an old detector that was in my household closet as a small boy, but now I bought a Garret Ace250 and I am ready to actually go find some stuff. :-)

I am from Northern Minnesota, and have looked up alot of the local history; it has tons of ghost towns, tons of little towns all within 14 miles of each other and all of them dating back to the mid 1800s or so, mining and logging was huge up here way back when.
I think there may be a little something out here to dig up.

There have always been these very old trails around my house, around some iron mining pits, now days they are just used for dirt bike trails and such, but I looked on a 1914 map, and they are there.
I once found just an old basement out in a field back behind the old trails, figuring I would try my luck there. :grin:

Anyways, thanks for reading and hopefully I can get out and find some goodies and contribute a bit before the snow shuts me in for the winter.

Welcome! I grew up in Duluth and now live in Superior. There is history here going back a relatively long time.

Welcome! I grew up in Duluth and now live in Superior. There is history here going back a relatively long time.

Ah heya, I am from Eveleth, about an hour from Duluth.

Where have you hunted so far around these parts and any good finds?
Also how is the Garret Ace250?

I got my Ace250 on the way.

Northwoods, Eh?

My nephew lives in Duluth and is an avid Lake Superior agate hunter, polisher and photographer. My oldest brother just completed a new summer home near Brookston. Have visited there a few times and just love that part of the country. Neither one of them have ever done any metal detecting as of yet. Does the iron ore content in the area bother you with the settings on your detector? Just curious.

Well actually I haven't even received my MD yet hehe, but as it sounds it isn't to bothersome.
I have been a little worried about it though, so much iron content, but I am still excited because I have atleast 3 or 4 old sites to search.

An old basement of a house which seemed to never have any sort of road leading to it, probably some sort of mine house for the miners.
An old dance hall, an old baseball field not used since probably the early to mid 1900s, an old farm house property way back in the woods, probably dating back to very early 1900s, an old trail most likely used by miners has recently got new trails added near them and all the tar has been taken out, and ect. :yes:

I am very excited and will take some pictures of a few of the sites I plan to search tomorrow, my MD will arrive Monday most likely.

Any tips for a newbie, I am VERY excited.

P.S. Your Nephew is a Photographer huh?
I myself take alot of photos and am in a Photography club, some beautiful stuff up here in Northern MN.

I am also new here in the twin cities area, I am currently a art student and have been detecting quite a few years. I am also hoping the snow stays away for awhile.

Back
Top Bottom