Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Quality Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > General Hobby Discussion

Notices

Old 11-12-2017, 11:01 PM
Supporter

Default Where do you find your gold?

Taking a poll here kinda.

Iíve never found gold.. ever... or really nickels for that matter. Cause I rarely did low tones.

Iíve recently realized my style of hunting only high tones is not working and I need to change.

So do you guys find rings, earrings, brackets etc in school yards.. tot lots... parks?

Iím excluding beach and water hunting since I live in Tennessee and TVA forbids it in their lakes and rivers.ó- And our west obviously

Any help is great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 11-12-2017, 11:07 PM
Elite Member

Where do I find gold ? I don't !!!

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-12-2017, 11:10 PM
Supporter

All my gold has been pulled from Elementary School totlots, city parks and open sports (practice) fields. It's not a ton but several earrings, pendants, necklaces and a few gold rings. I find at least 100x more fakers than the real thing but every once in a blue moon...

Gotta dig everything from high iron to penny signals if you want the good stuff. Some even higher depending on size. If you want the chains, gotta dig those high iron crackly signals too.

The more foil, pop tabs, ect you dig...the more you're increasing your chances toward the next.

Old 11-12-2017, 11:21 PM
Elite Member

Most gold near volley ball sand or grass.
Most gold on school athletic fields especially baseball, never tried rugby field but should work.
Minor gold sandy beach. I prefer fields over crowded beach.
Minor gold in city parks especially if was a swim pool nearby or in the past.

Misl. small amounts of gold just about everywhere ie forest hunt more of a fluke then good detecting.

From the beaten path, you would be surprised at gold rings inside a washing machine water pump. Have found gold in small thrift stores, gold near dumpsters, gold on ground from walking.
I'm sure left out a few.

Could be my detector but never do good on tot lots, so rarely hunt them, each year get's harder to find.

Old 11-12-2017, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by Pulltabby View post
Most gold near volley ball sand or grass.
Most gold on school athletic fields especially baseball, never tried rugby field but should work.
Minor gold sandy beach. I prefer fields over crowded beach.

Misl. small amounts of gold just about everywhere ie forest hunt more of a fluke then good detecting.

From the beaten path, you would be surprised at gold rings inside a washing machine water pump. Have found gold in small thrift stores, gold near dumpsters, gold on ground from walking.
I'm sure left out a few.

Could be my detector but never do good on tot lots, so rarely hunt them.

Really the baseball fields? I've been focusing on football and soccer. Why do you think that is? And what areas?

Old 11-12-2017, 11:29 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by DiggerMD View post
Really the baseball fields? I've been focusing on football and soccer. Why do you think that is? And what areas?

Most rings because they go flying off finger as they throw the hardball around.
Most found behind pitcher. hh

Old 11-12-2017, 11:32 PM
Elite Member

I've found most of my gold as nuggets in the goldfields.

But in terms of 'processed' gold, I've mostly found it in parks and a small amount on the beach. I've found more gold rings in parks, than on the beaches. But either way, I've dug kilos of scrap aluminium to find those rings. It's worth it for me though.

Detectors: CTX 3030, X-Terra70, Pro-Find 25
Oldest Coin: 1877 English Penny
2017 totals: $1411.95AUD (507x$2, 262x$1, 74x50c, 207x20c, 326x10c, 403x5c, 142x2c, 196x1c) and 82 foreign, collectable or older Australian/English (pre-decimal) coins.

Old 11-12-2017, 11:36 PM
Supporter

Excellent tips! My screwed up mentality of seeking ancient silver buried 2 foot deep and skipping tot lots needs to be revisited. Pull tabs and can slaw are in my future!

Old 11-12-2017, 11:41 PM

Default Gold

City's parks , some of my private permissions have even given up gold rings. Best thing to do is think of where most of heavy foot traffic might be and start there. Dig those low Tones✌️

Old 11-12-2017, 11:42 PM

I have found "1" gold ring and I consider myself very fortunate to have found it at all and so soon after starting the hobby is mind blowing luck. I have dug a lot of pull tabs and slaw. I really don't have much choice with the equipment I'm using but I am glad I am starting this way. I said right before I dug my one and only, "I'm not digging one more signal that isn't a strong signal with my pin pointer" I had been finding the targets and locating with the PP because I can't "dig" at my parks and it seemed that the pull tabs would beep from a foot down and that's a long way with a screw driver, but giving in to my addiction I couldn't leave that signal alone, low and behold gold.

Old 11-12-2017, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by Darktower007 View post
Excellent tips! My screwed up mentality of seeking ancient silver buried 2 foot deep and skipping tot lots needs to be revisited. Pull tabs and can slaw are in my future!

Probably LOTS of pull tabs. I dig a few pull tab signals on every hunt, thinking that this one will be the one to yield gold. And.... I get another pull tab. Hopefully, we'll both find our first gold before too long!

Old 11-12-2017, 11:51 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by StevenB View post
Probably LOTS of pull tabs. I dig a few pull tab signals on every hunt, thinking that this one will be the one to yield gold. And.... I get another pull tab. Hopefully, we'll both find our first gold before too long!
Yes, A LOT of pull tabs. I haven't found a gold ring in a park since April or May, and I've probably dug about 1000 aluminium pieces since then. Oh well

2017 totals: $1411.95AUD (507x$2, 262x$1, 74x50c, 207x20c, 326x10c, 403x5c, 142x2c, 196x1c) and 82 foreign, collectable or older Australian/English (pre-decimal) coins.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-12-2017, 11:52 PM
Elite Member

After digging a few dozen pull tabs I always go back to cherry picking, one poster mentioned 1 gold ring to 1000 pull tabs.

Not saying not worth it but not my choice.

Old 11-12-2017, 11:54 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by X-Terra70 View post
Yes, A LOT of pull tabs. I haven't found a gold ring in a park since April or May, and I've probably dug about 1000 aluminium pieces since then. Oh well

due for one soon

Old 11-13-2017, 12:52 AM
Supporter

Not one in ten years! I've put in hundreds of hours digging nickel, penny and pull tab signals mostly on the beach and turf of county lake parks. Some day maybe.

When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors.

Old 11-13-2017, 01:38 AM
Supporter

Soccer field sidelines follow second only to lake beaches for me.

Never found gold in a tot-lot (yet!), or basketball field perimeter (yet!), or baseball fields (yet!), or sand volleyball courts (except once at a lake vball court), and thatís my story and Iím sticking to it.

Old 11-13-2017, 05:45 AM
Elite Member

Location: Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and Kansas

Close to a dozen from around basketball courts, at least one from around a volleyball court but you have to work for it because there is usually a ton of trash around these things too.
A few from around picnic pavilions...also very trashy sites.
One from the chips in a tot lot, the area behind swings or at the bottom of slides are good places to look.
A couple from grass filled parking lot dividers, lots of jewelry in these especially if they are at high schools and colleges.
Many just wandering parks in all sorts of areas, places where people throw balls or frisbees because rings can fly off when they do, but anywhere people sit, stand around or walk through can hold some lost jewelry.
My first ever came from deep in the sand at a beach next to a small freshwater lake.
Beaches are one of the best places to find gold but not everyone has access to them.
Some parks have some nice lakes where people hang around and maybe fish and people gravitate to areas near bodies of water.
If you don't mind digging a whole lot of lead these areas can produce.

I don't dig all tabs as some people suggest, nor all nickel signals or dig my arms off going after most lower trash I come across either, what I do dig is any and all signals that are solid, hit nice and clean from two ways because that is how all gold has come in from me...so far.

All my gold has come in between areas where condiment packages come in up to low zinc where can slaw unusually lives but it could be below and above those areas, also.

Gold can be almost anywhere and can come in on our detectors almost everywhere...it is rare but it is out there.
Explore the lower areas where it tends to live and you have at least a shot at finding it.
Once you do you might experience a feeling that you never had before and for many of us a feeling like no other.
If you think you have gold fever I can assure you that you don't.
Real gold fever starts after you find some...once you do you will find it becomes very addictive and from then on have a great need to find more.

Last edited by DIGGER27; 11-13-2017 at 08:14 AM.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-13-2017, 06:49 AM
Elite Member

All girls private school!!! Iíve found over 50 Gold rings, Pemdants etc.. Iíve found 25 gold class rings alone from there not to mention over 100 pieces of sterling and well over 200 silver coins

Old 11-13-2017, 07:27 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by coin whisperer View post
All girls private school!!! Iíve found over 50 Gold rings, Pemdants etc.. Iíve found 25 gold class rings alone from there not to mention over 100 pieces of sterling and well over 200 silver coins

I can only imagine what I might find in the all girls schools near us. It's a shame they've all got fencing around them, so I won't be able to get in.

Old 11-13-2017, 07:52 AM
Supporter

Tot lots and schools seem to be my gold mines. I hadn't thought of hitting my tot lots until 2009 and it was 4 years of heaven. Below is a picture of just three months at tot lots and school.