Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   River Team 6 Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > General Hobby Discussion

Notices

Reply
  
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 11-16-2017, 04:48 PM
BottleCapKing's Avatar
BottleCapKing BottleCapKing is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Central Mass
Posts: 1,783
Default

Originally Posted by Crackerjack View post
Well, if you have a Sampson or other shovel you should be able to womp the daylights out of 'em if they bother you. My Predator Tools Piranha looks pretty formidable as a weapon.






If you don't feel confident in being able to defend yourself from Bambi, then get one of those Southern Good 'Ol Boys to go along with you. A country boy can survive.

Sadly for humans, deer are considerably faster than us, and pound for pound - pack quite a wollop. Caution is always the better part of valor. I would rather not be in melee range with a wild animal. I would rather shoot it. You don't need a doe tag when it is self-defense.

I have never run into a deer in the wild. Bears, yes. Cows, yes. Coyotes, yes. Meth heads, yes. Deer, not so much.

__________________
White's V3i - MXS - TRX - Sampson - White's Digger
Oldest - 2017: 1790 King Carulos IV half-reale
2017 -- Ag:13, WH:63, IH:10, Cu:3, V's:3, Buffs:8, .925:8, Au:3, Keys:11.75

Reply With Quote


  #22  
Old 11-16-2017, 05:56 PM
Mud-puppy's Avatar
Mud-puppy Mud-puppy is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: West Michigan area
Posts: 8,612
Default

Originally Posted by BottleCapKing View post
Sadly for humans, deer are considerably faster than us, and pound for pound - pack quite a wollop. Caution is always the better part of valor. I would rather not be in melee range with a wild animal. I would rather shoot it. You don't need a doe tag when it is self-defense.

I have never run into a deer in the wild. Bears, yes. Cows, yes. Coyotes, yes. Meth heads, yes. Deer, not so much.
Right! Humans are very fragile and slow compared to all the other Animals on this inhospitable Planet!....Statistically speaking, DOGS are the real killers of Humans out there a fellow has to worry about! Why even the little ones manage to kill a Human now and then...The bummer is, you never know what they are thinking, they act so nice most of the time, just waiting for the chance!....
Attached Images
 

__________________

Detecting is the study of Mankinds interaction with topography, the untrustworthiness of pockets, and metals desire to return to the Earth from whence it came.

Reply With Quote


  #23  
Old 11-17-2017, 06:48 AM
graybeard graybeard is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: New London Ohio
Posts: 842
Smile

Originally Posted by Mud-puppy View post
Right! Humans are very fragile and slow compared to all the other Animals on this inhospitable Planet!....Statistically speaking, DOGS are the real killers of Humans out there a fellow has to worry about! Why even the little ones manage to kill a Human now and then...The bummer is, you never know what they are thinking, they act so nice most of the time, just waiting for the chance!....
Mans best friend cute and cuddly, attacks people more then any other animal out there!
Reply With Quote


  #24  
Old 11-17-2017, 09:00 AM
pan4au's Avatar
pan4au pan4au is online now
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: W.Tn
Posts: 1,366
Default

Originally Posted by Stiffwrists View post
A three-legged dog walks into a bar and says, “I'm lookin' for the man who shot my paw!”

Oh wait.... that's a dog joke.

__________________
Tn. TH'er:lostmystuff.net,Minelab E-Trac,Garrett AT Pro,
Fisher 1266X,Fisher F75 SE,Garrett 7X,Garrett Freedom II Plus,Tesoro Cibola Gound balance modded
Garrett Pro Pointer II,Modded Cen-Tech pinpointer,

Reply With Quote


  #25  
Old 11-17-2017, 09:07 AM
pan4au's Avatar
pan4au pan4au is online now
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: W.Tn
Posts: 1,366
Default

Their hunting season gear...
Attached Images
 

__________________
Tn. TH'er:lostmystuff.net,Minelab E-Trac,Garrett AT Pro,
Fisher 1266X,Fisher F75 SE,Garrett 7X,Garrett Freedom II Plus,Tesoro Cibola Gound balance modded
Garrett Pro Pointer II,Modded Cen-Tech pinpointer,

Reply With Quote


  #26  
Old 11-17-2017, 09:30 AM
Big Treble's Avatar
Big Treble Big Treble is online now
Supporter
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SW WI
Posts: 3,119
Default

Actually the other option is to dress like a clown while detecting, this is usually what I do if I feel deer may be close. Let me tell you deer hate friggin clowns.

Here is a picture of me dressed as Captain Spaulding prior to a field hunt. I also find that the orange colors are more effective in the spring and the blues are more effective in the fall. The blue colors also tells the Rutting buck your a bada$$ and you will breed the does better than he and the this color blue will turn the Rutting bucks mind from A$$ to Grass in a hurry.
Attached Images
 

__________________
E-Trac, Spectra V3i, ATPro----Most days I'm not sure if I'm a Metal Detectorist, or a Scrap Metal Relocation Engineer.
Big Treble Outdoors Treasure Adventures -Missing big silver & anything remotely valuable since 2010.


Last edited by Big Treble; 11-19-2017 at 07:04 AM.
Reply With Quote


  #27  
Old 11-17-2017, 11:28 AM
bowwinkles bowwinkles is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 694
Default

Just get you a plain old sports whistle.
Reply With Quote


  #28  
Old 11-17-2017, 11:34 AM
N2990's Avatar
N2990 N2990 is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Northwest South Central GA
Posts: 598
Default

Nothing a little double barrel wont scare off

__________________
Minelab Etrac
2017: 6 Silver , 0 Gold , Oldest Coin 1928 Wheat
Garrett Ace250
2016: 3 Silver , 0 Gold , Oldest Coin 1919 Wheat

Reply With Quote


  #29  
Old 11-17-2017, 12:37 PM
GKL's Avatar
GKL GKL is online now
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Winnsboro, South Carolina
Posts: 2,658
Talking

Originally Posted by Big Treble View post
Actually the other option is to dress like a clown while detecting, this is usually what I do if I feel deer may be close. Let me tell you deer hate friggin clowns. Here is a picture of me dressed as Captain Spaulding prior to a field hunt....


Now THAT should have deer looking like

Hey, as creepy as your clown make up looks maybe they should come out with yet another remake of Stephen King's "IT" .......
Name:  new_it_poster.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  91.7 KB - or - Name:  new_it_poster4.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  95.8 KB

__________________
Gary
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV and Cen-Tech Pinpointer
other (occasional) hobbies: astronomy, rockhounding, green screening
John 3:5 Acts 2:38
Navy Vet


Last edited by GKL; 11-17-2017 at 12:52 PM.
Reply With Quote


  #30  
Old 11-17-2017, 06:52 PM
TriadHunter's Avatar
TriadHunter TriadHunter is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 602
Default

I put my Crimson Trace between its eyes and hold my handgun gangsta style. That usually does the trick.

__________________
-Christian
Garrett Carrot, ACE 400, AT-MAX. IHP's (7). Wheats (29). Barber dimes (3). Mercs (3). Rosies (2). Rings (9). Headstamps (131). Clad total: $119.42. Oldest coin: 1879 IHP.

Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #31  
Old 11-17-2017, 06:53 PM
Big Treble's Avatar
Big Treble Big Treble is online now
Supporter
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SW WI
Posts: 3,119
Default

Originally Posted by GKL View post


Now THAT should have deer looking like

Hey, as creepy as your clown make up looks maybe they should come out with yet another remake of Stephen King's "IT" .......
Attachment 399797 - or - Attachment 399799
LOL, I think Rob Zombie would have something to say about that

__________________
E-Trac, Spectra V3i, ATPro----Most days I'm not sure if I'm a Metal Detectorist, or a Scrap Metal Relocation Engineer.
Big Treble Outdoors Treasure Adventures -Missing big silver & anything remotely valuable since 2010.

Reply With Quote


  #32  
Old 11-17-2017, 07:20 PM
grinsebring's Avatar
grinsebring grinsebring is offline
Global Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Florida Highlands
Posts: 6,376
Default metal detectorist shows how to move deer along

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0oWhUeyhU4

__________________
“If you are depressed you are living in the past.
If you are anxious you are living in the future.
If you are at peace you are living in the present.” Lao Tzu

Reply With Quote


  #33  
Old 11-17-2017, 07:54 PM
GKL's Avatar
GKL GKL is online now
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Winnsboro, South Carolina
Posts: 2,658
Talking

Originally Posted by Big Treble View post
LOL, I think Rob Zombie would have something to say about that
....you mean that wasn't you made up as a creepy clown ?

__________________
Gary
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV and Cen-Tech Pinpointer
other (occasional) hobbies: astronomy, rockhounding, green screening
John 3:5 Acts 2:38
Navy Vet

Reply With Quote


  #34  
Old 11-17-2017, 08:04 PM
Big Treble's Avatar
Big Treble Big Treble is online now
Supporter
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SW WI
Posts: 3,119
Default

Originally Posted by GKL View post
....you mean that wasn't you made up as a creepy clown ?
LOL no, Rob Zombie directed 3 horror films, and this was Captain Spaulding from one of them, he might have been in all three I believe. The who paid the clown was Sig Haig( I believe).

But I am a big dude and very bald. Just don't sport a neck beard and brush my teeth at least twice a day, other than that we might be dead ringers. lol

__________________
E-Trac, Spectra V3i, ATPro----Most days I'm not sure if I'm a Metal Detectorist, or a Scrap Metal Relocation Engineer.
Big Treble Outdoors Treasure Adventures -Missing big silver & anything remotely valuable since 2010.

Reply With Quote


  #35  
Old 11-17-2017, 08:22 PM
GKL's Avatar
GKL GKL is online now
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Winnsboro, South Carolina
Posts: 2,658
Talking

Originally Posted by Big Treble View post
LOL no, Rob Zombie directed 3 horror films, and this was Captain Spaulding from one of them, he might have been in all three I believe. The who paid the clown was Sig Haig( I believe).

But I am a big dude and very bald. Just don't sport a neck beard and brush my teeth at least twice a day, other than that we might be dead ringers. lol


Okay, you had me going there, I originally thought you were serious when you said before "Here is a picture of me dressed as Captain Spaulding...."

This is the first time I remember hearing about a "Captain Spaulding" clown, I remember that name from the title of the theme song "Hooray for Captain Spaulding" for the Groucho Marx television show from the 1950's/early 1960's.

__________________
Gary
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV and Cen-Tech Pinpointer
other (occasional) hobbies: astronomy, rockhounding, green screening
John 3:5 Acts 2:38
Navy Vet

Reply With Quote


  #36  
Old 11-17-2017, 08:29 PM
Beach Bum's Avatar
Beach Bum Beach Bum is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Melbourne, Florida
Posts: 1,515
Default

I put a rifle in my hands and I see no deer. I put a metal detector in my hands and I cant keep the deer away. I was thinking of putting a coil on the end of my rifle and giving that a try.

__________________
ATPRO, BH 202, Discovery 2000, Garrett Pro Pointer
http://s184.photobucket.com/albums/x83/Duncans_pics/

Reply With Quote


  #37  
Old 11-18-2017, 10:24 PM
007tallguy's Avatar
007tallguy 007tallguy is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada, eh.
Posts: 7,302
Default

deer! i've never seen any while detecting around here, but they seem to be all over the roads this fall! i drive for a living, close to 350km per day. was making the 5km drive home from work last Thursday night when one ran into the side of my car.... almost $2500 in damage! came up my driveway and saw 5 more in the neighbors yard!
got pulled over the following night for a headlight out. (no ticket, just a warning, lol)
slowly getting things sorted out with my insurance co, but they seem to take your money much faster than they'll give it back.

__________________
AT Pro, Ace 250 totals for '17: 2 x 10k gold, 1 silver ring, $59.42

Reply With Quote


  #38  
Old 11-18-2017, 11:06 PM
coin chaser's Avatar
coin chaser coin chaser is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: illinois,chicago suburbs
Posts: 2,524
Default

Lmao this thread is killing me! I thought having a man card was enough to not be scared of deer?! Bears.. ok I can see that but deer?
Deer “stomp” to provoke you. It’s their way of saying “I see you, are you gonna try and get me or are you not a threat”. I have seen does beat up people in videos but I didn’t see the person throw a right hook in one of those videos.. I’ve been in the woods all seasons of the year all my life and never been worried about deer. Me and the kids try and see how close we can get to them on public grounds. If you need to scare them away the easiest way would be to have your man pants on and walk towards them.
Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #39  
Old 11-18-2017, 11:09 PM
coin chaser's Avatar
coin chaser coin chaser is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: illinois,chicago suburbs
Posts: 2,524
Default

Originally Posted by Beach Bum View post
I put a rifle in my hands and I see no deer. I put a metal detector in my hands and I cant keep the deer away. I was thinking of putting a coil on the end of my rifle and giving that a try.
A lot of that is body language. When your hunting your trying to be sneaky and acting like a predator. When your detecting your obvious and not acting like a threat.
Reply With Quote


  #40  
Old 11-18-2017, 11:12 PM
Ice Scratcher's Avatar
Ice Scratcher Ice Scratcher is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 16,965
Default

Originally Posted by coin chaser View post
Lmao this thread is killing me! I thought having a man card was enough to not be scared of deer?! Bears.. ok I can see that but deer?
Deer “stomp” to provoke you. It’s their way of saying “I see you, are you gonna try and get me or are you not a threat”. I have seen does beat up people in videos but I didn’t see the person throw a right hook in one of those videos.. I’ve been in the woods all seasons of the year all my life and never been worried about deer. Me and the kids try and see how close we can get to them on public grounds. If you need to scare them away the easiest way would be to have your man pants on and walk towards them.
That's about it too.. Its funny to be able to hide from them in public areas because they are too used to smells.. And and when they get close enough jump out lol! Boo!

<°)))>{
Reply With Quote


Reply


Tags
buck, deer, doe

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.