An American coin spill in Australia

sandgroper

Elite Member
Had about half an hour to kill yesterday, (didn't want to go shopping with mum and my sister :laughing:), so I headed over to a park next to the shopping centre for a quick swing. Found a little over $7 and right at the end I came across this coin spill of three pennies. Interesting to say the least. :lol: When I dug the first one up, I didn't know what it was because it was very crusty, but after a few rubs I recognised the Lincoln Memorial so I new it was a penny (I assume it's one of those zinc pennies). Anyway, pretty cool to find these coins over here

Attachments

• IMG_2553.jpg
    IMG_2553.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 446
You will make Felix's day with this post. I think he eats the krusty zincs for breakfast:lol:

Would like to say congratulations and that you done well but with zincolns I'd be lying:laughing. It looks like the outside two are zink pennies and the middle copper. 1982 and newer = copper.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

Interesting find in WA.
What are the Dates?

The US started making Zinc Clad one Cent coins in 1993. So if 1992 or earlier they are solid copper, if later then they are copper clad Zinc.

You will make Felix's day with this post. I think he eats the krusty zincs for breakfast:lol:

Thanks! When I realised the first coin was a zinc penny I also thought of Felix and his pennies :lol:

Would like to say congratulations and that you done well but with zincolns I'd be lying:laughing. It looks like the outside two are zink pennies and the middle copper. 1982 and newer = copper.

Thanks, definitely something interesting for once :)

Interesting find in WA.
What are the Dates?

The US started making Zinc Clad one Cent coins in 1993. So if 1992 or earlier they are solid copper, if later then they are copper clad Zinc.

Gave the zincs a scrub with some steel wool so now I can read the dates. They are 1977, 1987 and 1996. Wikipedia says 1983 and later are zincs (the 1987 and 1996 are also the crusty ones)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penny_(United_States_coin)

Didn't proofread my post, edit to say 1982 and newer = zink. :more coffee:

Interesting find in WA.
What are the Dates?

Most all are copper clad. During WW2 also, many pennies were made with steel zinc due to needing copper for the war. It's a shame that none of the money out there today adheres to the Constitutional requirement for States to coin money.

Two zincs and a copper, welcome to my world :lol:

I thought the zincs started 1982-1/2 ish. I’ve had ‘82 coppers. Gotta bounce them and listen...

Cool! Foreign coins are neat to find! :thumbsup:

Gave the zincs a scrub with some steel wool so now I can read the dates. They are 1977, 1987 and 1996. Wikipedia says 1983 and later are zincs (the 1987 and 1996 are also the crusty ones)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penny_(United_States_coin)
Yes, until 1982, Lincoln memorials were made with copper. The U.S. minted both copper & zinc pennies in 1982; that's why pennies 1983 and after are sure to be zinc. :yes:

Two zincs and a copper, welcome to my world :lol:

I thought the zincs started 1982-1/2 ish. I’ve had ‘82 coppers. Gotta bounce them and listen...

Yeah, wikipedia says that in 1982 both zinc and copper cents were made. "The cent's composition was changed in 1982 because the value of the copper in the coin started to rise above one cent.[11] Some 1982 pennies used the 97.5% zinc composition, while others used the 95% copper composition."

Cool! Foreign coins are neat to find! :thumbsup:

Yes, until 1982, Lincoln memorials were made with copper. The U.S. minted both copper & zinc pennies in 1982; that's why pennies 1983 and after are sure to be zinc. :yes:

Thanks! :)

Nice! I find those all of the time but finding it as a foreign coin is very cool. I just posted a thread about a Chinese coin I found in my front yard and I am in the US. Congrats.

Nice! I find those all of the time but finding it as a foreign coin is very cool. I just posted a thread about a Chinese coin I found in my front yard and I am in the US. Congrats.

Yeah it's always interesting to find something different, HH :)

Congrats on the "Coin Spill" :laughing: In U.S.A., we call that "littering" :laughing:

Thanks, well it sure made for an interesting find :lol:

You now officially owe the Americans 3 cents. With interest, that comes out to about $387.74.

I like finding foreign coins. I've found them from Kenya, French Polynesia, several Asian countries, Belgium, France,
Netherlands, Ukraine, Slovenia, Euros, Bolivia, Peru, among others. Never found any Australian money.

Back
Top Bottom