found radio shack metal locator kit Cat.No. 28-181

goatboy

Hey i found still in box and complete not put to gather one very old school metal detector kit put out by radio shack. looks like late 70's very tempted to put it togather and have some fun finding pop tabs and bottle caps, cost me 12 bucks at second hand store, but o what fun putting it togather and to go hunting with it, what is the oldest detector you guys and gals like to use just because it is ols?;)

update

well got time to work with putting it to gather, nice component layout the only things that bug me about the kit are the shielded wire going to the search coil. the shield is made with some #$%@ ^& wire across of 38Ga. and litz a bugger to solder to board and coil going to look for replace ment. Also the 5k thermister is missing from the kit have to get one from mouser ,radshack it was missing 2 50pF npo caps but had those in my what to do with box. Have to ream the holes in the prodject box out to fit the extendable al shaft, seams they were going for friction fit but missed 1/16 of in. after mounting coil and making final conections i will seal the search coil, its just a double sided printed circuit board,going to use a good epoxy for that just for wear. :p

Would it be possible to get a PDF of the build instructions? I am rebuilding one of these that I found at a flea market.

Thanks in advance,

- Techowl -

Back
Top Bottom