Our hobby: Always a learning curve? (England)

Doug

Elite Member
I was on a new farm the other week and on crossing over a stone bridge to another field I spotted the concrete trough in the photograph below spanning a small river.

Looking long and hard at the concrete trough and never seen one before so at the end of the day I asked the landowner its purpose in life.

....and the answer is?

Thanks for looking.....Doug.

The mystery structure.
dT0ryIi.jpg

Silver coin at an angle.
AkwqyQT.jpg

Surface find, button.
rXRBCIE.jpg

A Roman coin.
TmhBSST.jpg

Queen Elizabeth 1st possible a 'touch piece'?
gZgA1NY.jpg

2nd to 4th century Roman coins.
9IIbxfp.jpg

Middle item, book clasp Circa AD1500-1700.
nTe7Wnw.jpg

Various coins.
Atc0DqG.jpg

German coin.
CLG1Vhn.jpg

Elizabeth1st AD 1558-1603. Touch piece?

"Explanation: A coin pierced for suspension around the neck as an amulet, often presented by a monarch to the recipient.

This arose from the belief that monarchs could cure certain diseases including scrofula. The coin would normally bear the portrait of the monarch so that the piece could take the place of the monarch.

It is likely that a touch piece would have become a status symbol as it showed that the wearer had received the monarch's touch. It is also likely that the wearing of mounted coins was copied as a fashion item"

I9ud3Pz.jpg

Congrats on the great finds.

I'm going to guess the concrete bridge is for moving livestock back and forth over the river.

I was on a new farm the other week and on crossing over a stone bridge to another field I spotted the concrete trough in the photograph below spanning a small river.

Looking long and hard at the concrete trough and never seen one before so at the end of the day I asked the landowner its purpose in life.

....and the answer is?

Irrigation? Flood prevention? It looks like the trough would fill when the creek rises. Then some of the water is redirected (off to the right) to another area for storage or to simply reduce the creek level further downstream and prevent flooding.

Great finds once again Doug!

No clue on the trough, waiting to hear what the farmer said! :cool3:

Very Nice finds Doug !!

As to the trough.. doesn't appear to be very wide looking at the bricks next to it.. I am thinking it is used for Wheel barrowing things from one side to the other.

Love all the pictures and History !!

Great find Doug, In Monty Pythons "life of Brian" Brians Mom would have called that a Roman Aquaduct! (Albeit it a rather small one mind you):D

My guess on the trough is it is for directing water above creek level for irrigation.
Is there a spring or other water source up hill from this trough?

Other guess is for smaller farm animals to cross the creek like chickens or pigs.

Great finds again. Do like looking at the pictures of very old stuff.

Some nice coins and relics you found there! What detector do you use, and what did that German Pfennig ring up as?

Thank you.

I use a 8+ years old Deus, although I have the full set up I just use it in the Lite mode. No options at the time to buy a Lite mode on its own.

When I ordered the Deus I had to go on the waiting list, the first ones had V1.9 but when I received mine it had been updated to V2.0, still using V2.0.

I just use stock programs and 9" coil for about 90% of the time, 11" coil for about 10% of the time.

Some nice coins and relics you found there! What detector do you use, and what did that German Pfennig ring up as?

Thank you for the views and and comments.

Concrete trough across the stream.

Several interesting suggestions, manor house was built mid 1800's.

Plaque on bridge is 1853.

Trough is possibly only 12" wide so i think we can rule out human and animal movement across it!

Several members were on the right track with water movement but not for taking it off the fields but for putting water on to the fields?

.......see below.

Fields either side of the trough are water meadow fields.

So the water was directed via the trough in floods to put water on and off the fields and put nutrients back into the fields for growing grass for the livestock.

"A water-meadow (also water meadow or watermeadow) is an area of grassland subject to controlled irrigation to increase agricultural productivity.

Water-meadows were mainly used in Europe from the 16th to the early 20th centuries.

Working water-meadows have now largely disappeared, but the field patterns and water channels of derelict water-meadows remain common in areas where they were used, such as parts of Northern Italy, Switzerland and England.

Derelict water-meadows are often of importance as wetland wildlife habitats."

Thanks for the details about the water trough.

I was close with irrigation but didn't know about 'water fields'.

Makes sense since UK gets lots of rain.

Many holed coins adorned many a pocket watch chain also - old or new - and some were date significant to the wearer I believe. Some given as love tokens had holes driven through it signify the end of the relationship, then discarded. Would you agree Doug?

wonderful finds...since that is Roman area, wonder if this goes back to the aquaduct days. What is above it? Any way to channel water from above area to that "bridge" to the fields? tough to raise water from the stream to the fields, but with aquaducts and troughs in the fields, it allows you to water

The only other option would be a type of waterwheel that might bring water up to the"bridge" and out to the fields.

Very neat though. I used to love driving through the English countryside and seeing things like that. You just never knew how old or what they were used for.

Thanks again for sharing

Great finds Doug - well done !

We find a lot of "Holed" 1800's coins here in the US.
Holes were often punched or drilled in coins so they could be put on a string or wire and worn under clothing to help prevent loss or theft.

Back
Top Bottom