Bullets?

ChrisnAmanda1

Elite Member
Found a whole bunch of these in an old abandoned army post. I can't tell what they are. We also found a bunch of old casings that look huge and have no markings. Are these bullets?!

Attachments

• 20190622_135119.jpg
    20190622_135119.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 408
  • 20190622_135025.jpg
    20190622_135025.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 407
Look like modern bullets. I shoot a black powder cartridge rifle and those look like modern "grease grove" bullets that I shoot.

Look like modern bullets. I shoot a black powder cartridge rifle and those look like modern "grease grove" bullets that I shoot.

Alright! Thank you! The area is a school ground now and they we're buried about 4" deep at the shallowest. The area was used as a montana infantry post in 1860's and abandoned in the 1880s. Indian fighters. I have a few old buttons from the area and cartridges that look like Henry cartridge casings but I can't confirm. Hopefully these are a litttle older....

NOT that modern. They are 45/70 bullets from the 1880's to the early 1900's. I find tons of them.

The casings SHOULD have numbers and letters on the bottom but very faint. Have they all been stepped on?

NOT that modern. They are 45/70 bullets from the 1880's to the early 1900's. I find tons of them.

The casings SHOULD have numbers and letters on the bottom but very faint. Have they all been stepped on?

That's them!! The casings don't have any letters or numbers that I Can see but I must have over 30 of these. I was guessing the casings were about the size of 45/70 but without any indicators I couldn't tell. These were found at a site where the army was still fighting the "indian wars" out here in Montana. Thank you for the ID! As far as them all being stepped on, I have a few that look like they might still look like bullets and avoided stepping on LOL

That's them!! The casings don't have any letters or numbers that I Can see but I must have over 30 of these. I was guessing the casings were about the size of 45/70 but without any indicators I couldn't tell. These were found at a site where the army was still fighting the "indian wars" out here in Montana. Thank you for the ID! As far as them all being stepped on, I have a few that look like they might still look like bullets and avoided stepping on LOL

I meant were the casings stepped on. The Secretary of War issued a statement saying the casing should be destroyed so the indians could not reload them.

Also you possibly have two different sizes as I do the 405 grain and the 500 grain. The 500 grain was found to be a more accurate and effective bullet.

I meant were the casings stepped on. The Secretary of War issued a statement saying the casing should be destroyed so the indians could not reload them.

Also you possibly have two different sizes as I do the 405 grain and the 500 grain. The 500 grain was found to be a more accurate and effective bullet.

That's awesome! Most of them were flattened. I wish I could get even faint letters from the csings, but there's not much in the way od identifying them. I've tried cleaning them around where the primer would be but can't get anything from them. Now that I know what they are tho I can try again.

Take very fine steel wool to the case bottom. Clean the bottom of it to near clean brass and post a picture of it.

Back
Top Bottom