Propane gas griddle use in Garage

As I understand it, one threat with propane is lack of oxygen. If you have too tight a house, your propane device can burn up all the oxygen and cause asphyxiation. It has the CO hazard, too.

I lived in a home with a propane stove and two propane wall heaters. The stove had a vented hood, and one heater was vented to the outside, while the other heater was one of those vent free radiant wall heaters.
infared_heater.jpg

These (ventless) heaters are generally required to have an oxygen depletion switch as a safety.

I use my gas grill in the garage. The obvious precautions taken of course , away from anything flammable and garage door open , grill not far from open door , and don't walk off and leave it unattended. I wouldn't take it into the house but a well ventilated garage should be no problem.

So it's more the burning of O2 than it is build up of CO... Good to know! Yes will definitely have the passenger door open (with a fan pulling air in) but would have the garage door open in most cases too.

Thanks!

CO displaces O2 , so it is about build up of CO. You could technically have enough oxygen in the space , only pushed to where you cant breathe it and you are surrounded by a cloud of CO. Then as time goes on the CO will push the remaining oxygen out of the space.

I feel like if there isn't a mix of gases floating around in the garage, propane, Acetylene, MAP, Shielding and of course a constant flow of Methane :laughing:...it isn't much of a garage. :D

Back
Top Bottom