Metal Detecting in Georiga

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
I live in north Atlanta and have wondered where other fellow Georgia MD are looking for old coins.

Kind of tired of the parks since it is mostly junk and modern coins. Once in a blue moon, find a ring at volley ball courts. I have a fairly decent list of old home sites that I have access to and should be hitting them harder. Problem is they are too far away for my schedule. I have my own business and can only afford to sneak away for 2 hours or less.

I guess part of my problem is envy of my northern friends who seem to have richer pickings when it comes to finding older silver coins.

I do know what I am doing and have a decent machine. The Garrett AT-Pro.

I hit the Chattahoochee river and creeks and come out with junk and modern coins. I guess I am spoiled since I am an accomplished ocean beach hunter and hunt the Florida beaches 2-3 times a year for a week at a time.

So if anyone hunting in the north georgia area can discuss their finds, that would be helpful. From my stand point, no sense hunting if the stuff is not there.

I live in north Atlanta and have wondered where other fellow Georgia MD are looking for old coins.

Kind of tired of the parks since it is mostly junk and modern coins. Once in a blue moon, find a ring at volley ball courts. I have a fairly decent list of old home sites that I have access to and should be hitting them harder. Problem is they are too far away for my schedule. I have my own business and can only afford to sneak away for 2 hours or less.

I guess part of my problem is envy of my northern friends who seem to have richer pickings when it comes to finding older silver coins.

I hit the Chattahoochee river and creeks and come out with junk and modern coins. I guess I am spoiled since I am an accomplished ocean beach hunter and hunt the Florida beaches 2-3 times a year for a week at a time.

So if anyone hunting in the north georgia area can discuss their finds, that would be helpful. From my stand point, no sense hunting if the stuff is not there.

Parks are almost always trashy. Ive hunted in Atlanta parks some, and like most they are trashy. But the trash will never prevent me from trying!

One thing to try is curb strips and permissions. I've found almost all my silver in folks front yard. Just door knocking. Silver Franklins Standing Libertys etc.

In public places finding silver hit the edges or oldest parts. Look for big huge trees or If woods are around head in to them and work the permitter.

Some guys have like 400 silvers YTD. I could have the same if I was banging on doors every day, its there, I've pulled them from almost every permission, but I normally hunt parks and schools with my cigar and have a great time regardless of what I dig.:my2cents:

Georgia has a lot of history and IMHO is a great state to live in if you’re into detecting. Old towns, homesteads, Civil War camps, battle sites, Native American artifacts, we have it all! You may need to venture away from the city to find some really good spots but they’re here. I totally understand the work limiting detecting time thing though. I have that same problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Metal Detecting in GA

I thought my area had been hunted out - but I can tall you - don't give up. I recently celebrated my 200th bullet found. I also have found a 2nd regiment revolutionary button, CS Cast BLock I, Frame buckle and more! I love the hobby!

I would say that when your schedule allows, get out of the city and get into the country. I lived in the Fort Gordon/Augusta area for ten years and there's so many small towns waiting to be picked. Most importantly, don't get discouraged. Take a look at my signature block - no jewelry, no interesting coins, but I keep at it because I like finding things.

I live in N.E. Georgia as well but I am still trying to figure out which detector I want to buy. Had an older one (Bounty Hunter) but I was not impressed with it so I gave it to my brother in law.

Once I decide on a new detector and get back out in the field I will try and update you on how I am doing in my neck of the woods (really in the woods).

If I do any good maybe we can link up and hit some spots that I might find that produce some results.

Back
Top Bottom