Got my CTX "17 coil, going out tomorrow

Pinpointing can be tricky at first. I pinpoint one direction then turn 90 degrees and pinpoint again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That and ....well, your shoulders gonna be really sore tomorrow.......
If you are planning a long hunt, you might wanna consider the sling......
Also , I have noticed that the depth reading on mine are a tad bit exaggerated ....It will sat 11 inch target , but its really only down 8-9......

My biggest gripe is the weight for sure , then the centering and pinpointing......
Obviously , you don't wanna take it somewhere where there are a ton of targets and junk....
Good luck.....

I’ve never had a problem swinging for a long period of time but I agree that the depth meter will be 3 to 4” off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you all for the recommendations. I am 6'5" and 275 lbs, alot of gym time :grin:.... But the pin pointing recommendations is definitely one I will monitor.

Thank you again, will update folks on the hunt tomorrow.

Pinpointing can be tricky at first. I pinpoint one direction then turn 90 degrees and pinpoint again ...

Yes. Extremely "warbly" pinpointing. Not a problem if you're beach hunting (where you can simply make big holes, and scan your tailings). But in park turf or land sites, that's not an option. And to make matters worse, there's no sunray in-line probe. So using the freestanding probes (carrot, etc...), you'll have potential to go chasing little flecks of iron (push pin, birdshot, paperclip, etc...). Which can be quite annoying.

On most all machines, the 10" or 11" coil size is the "point of diminishing returns". Where you don't get coins any deeper. You only get larger objects deeper. And, of course, increase swath coverage. But with the CTX 17" coil, you will indeed get coins deeper. Albeit with drawbacks like warbly pinpointing, and more masking I suppose.

Yes. Extremely "warbly" pinpointing. Not a problem if you're beach hunting (where you can simply make big holes, and scan your tailings). But in park turf or land sites, that's not an option. And to make matters worse, there's no sunray in-line probe. So using the freestanding probes (carrot, etc...), you'll have potential to go chasing little flecks of iron (push pin, birdshot, paperclip, etc...). Which can be quite annoying.

On most all machines, the 10" or 11" coil size is the "point of diminishing returns". Where you don't get coins any deeper. You only get larger objects deeper. And, of course, increase swath coverage. But with the CTX 17" coil, you will indeed get coins deeper. Albeit with drawbacks like warbly pinpointing, and more masking I suppose.

My experiences to a T. For those who have not had the advantage of the X-1...it really SUCKS not having one for the CTX. Also agreed that the 17” picks up deeper coins in my sites. It might be because it’s basically all I use...:lol:
Seriously,I have done some checking using Auto+3 and the 17” hits reliably,whereas Manual Sensitivity needs to be implemented to achieve a comparable response with the stock coil. This is on 8-10” coins...the Explorer2 with either the Detech Ultimate 13” OR the Sunray X-12 put me in the same game at Semi Auto 26. I’ve got some pretty good ground being able to get these depths with these settings. Running hotter usually just makes things go batshit crazy...and makes the audio unintelligible. I have a ways to go before manual sensitivity will be beneficial to My ears, this is where the 17” CTX coil is nice,because of its ability to see deeper stuff while being run very stable.
OK I’m going hunting now..:grin: Sorry for the LWP...

Well I promised an update

So, first things first, I thought my shoulder muscles were strong, but dang that 17"er can make you sore after about 3 1/2 hours of hunting!:laughing:

Everything that was recommended/warned to me is true....the pinpointing leaves a little to be desired but using the 90 degree turn and ML wiggle I was able to consistently pinpoint the targets so I wasn't "digging to China" (thanks Surf Master).

Anywho, my deepest target was at least 1 1/2 feet down, no joke, a really good sounding high 12-45/46 and I thought it was going to be a silver quarter (we have pulled 1 pre-1965 coin out of this park) instead it was a very old beer can (canslaw). So YES, big targets will be found very deep.

No gold or silver today, but that wasn't the point of this hunt, more so, to go over ground that I have hit at least 3-4 times with the CTX's stock coil.

Ended up finding a junk ring (that makes 6 rings from this park, 1 gold and 2 silvers) at about 5 inches, 4 quarters at varying depths, most sitting at 6 or so inches, and 4 dimes, same various depths.

The coil started to slip a little on the thumb screw mount at the end of my Anderson CTX shaft, and that was primarily due to the weight and maybe the weather (it was below 30 F the entire time).

Aside from being chilled to death, I enjoyed the coil, I need to hit a much older, established park nearby (1890s) to see if it is "seeing" anything older under the clad layer. I will hit that park maybe later next year....it is just getting a little to cold to make it enjoyable.

Sorry for the long post but appreciate all the recommendations and words of advice. I like the coil for its area coverage, just wish I had tried some older ground to go over on this first test.

Happy Holidays all!!!

Here's my recommendations! STAY OFF MY HUNTING GROUNDS WITH THAT COIL! :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

Seriously good luck with that coil, its a great coil GL!
DD

I waited Paul until you got out for your first ride of that coil. You will either fall in love with this tool of hate the efforts to get use to it. If the love affair develops then this coil will surprise you with the rewards it will bring out. Yes pinpointing leaves something to be desired and the unbalanced weight can bring on a ache or two. Still the consistent results will amaze you with its use. I can tell you that the coil has provided me and several of my fellows hunters with some fantastic hunts. I can safely say that over half the Silver Coins I have dug this last two years were from the use of this coil. Digging deep Silver has been something special that the 17 has provided me. I can only hope it gives you the same types of adventures and a lot of Shiny finds. Trapper

I waited Paul until you got out for your first ride of that coil. You will either fall in love with this tool of hate the efforts to get use to it. If the love affair develops then this coil will surprise you with the rewards it will bring out. Yes pinpointing leaves something to be desired and the unbalanced weight can bring on a ache or two. Still the consistent results will amaze you with its use. I can tell you that the coil has provided me and several of my fellows hunters with some fantastic hunts. I can safely say that over half the Silver Coins I have dug this last two years were from the use of this coil. Digging deep Silver has been something special that the 17 has provided me. I can only hope it gives you the same types of adventures and a lot of Shiny finds. Trapper

Thank you Jack&Jill, I am really looking forward to hitting the old parks in my area. The park that I hit has netted predominately post 1964 finds, I am sure that it will perform very well in older areas. Its a keeper to me for sure, now I need to find at least ONE silver coin in my present haunt. Cannot believe I have found everything else but a silver coin since coming back to the Pacific Northwest 2 years ago. Must be that I haven't been getting out enough;)

Back
Top Bottom