Permission Letters are Working

mgo

I sent out (12) permission requst letters last monday (6 days ago). I included a letter introducing myself and requesting permission, a signed waiver, a permission form for the landowner to sign, and a copy of my Pennsylvania Criminal Background check (showing I am not a criminal), and self addressed envelope for return of permission letter.

I sent these (12) packets to landowners in the Hanover, PA area where the Battle of Hanover took place.....I have received permission to hunt (2) of the locations already (within 4 days of mailig them out!!!).

Hoping for a few more positive responses....but absolutely no complaints if I "only" get the (2) farms.....it was well worth the effort!

Future plans include permission request packets to LOTS and LOTS of landowners on the outskirts of Gettysburg....outside of the National Park of limits of course!

I sent out (12) permission requst letters last monday (6 days ago). I included a letter introducing myself and requesting permission, a signed waiver, a permission form for the landowner to sign, and a copy of my Pennsylvania Criminal Background check (showing I am not a criminal), and self addressed envelope for return of permission letter.

I sent these (12) packets to landowners in the Hanover, PA area where the Battle of Hanover took place.....I have received permission to hunt (2) of the locations already (within 4 days of mailig them out!!!).

Hoping for a few more positive responses....but absolutely no complaints if I "only" get the (2) farms.....it was well worth the effort!

Future plans include permission request packets to LOTS and LOTS of landowners on the outskirts of Gettysburg....outside of the National Park of limits of course!

That's a good area!!! Years ago, I came away with a pocket full of mini balls and two iron canister/grapeshot balls!!! Good luck!!

Dusty

Yup, his well thought out permission letters and my business cards/truck signs are proof advertising works in this field. I've had two elderly people ask for my help already, one lost a metal charm off a bracelet and another lost a ring. Found them both, but didn't charge them anything (no, no other finds in their yards). I'll never get rich doing this, but it's rewarding in other ways I hadn't considered.

Dusty

That's awesome your permission packets are getting you positive replies. Good luck on future replies. Hope you get many more saying yes. Also, good luck when you MD those sites. Keep us posted with your finds.

You wouldn't happen to have a template of your request letter, would you? That might help the group here.

This is a great idea. Good job!

I might do something similar in the San Diego area...not that we have many historic battle fields around here... =(

<D>

You wouldn't happen to have a template of your request letter, would you? That might help the group here.

<D>

I would be interested in seeing this as well. I have found a few older homes in the area I would like to try to get permission to hunt.

I have also found 2 sites that are vacant and for sale and will be contacting the realtor to find out more.

Attachments are to big to attach.....I cant seem to get this to work....so I am including text below.....you will have to retype and format, etc.

I got the Waiver and the Permission Form from another post on this forum.....I wish I could remember who posted it to give him credit.
(EDIT) Ahhhhh..... BLACKZ51VETT.....here is his post, I used some of his stuff....pretty much used his waiver and permission form verbatum...thanks to BLACKZ51VET for the post!

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=48027&highlight=permission+letters

The letter I developed parts from some other forum members versions and of course added my own specific information as you will have to do as well.

I got me Criminal Background check done throught the PA State Police online......it was only $10.00. You will have to check with your state police to see how much the cost is and if they offer this online. I had to do this anyway to be a Little League Coach...so I had it and just made copies.

Letter:
Your NAme
Your Street Address
City, State Zip
xxx-555-xxxx

Mr. TBD
1236 TBD Rd.
New Park, PA 17352

Dear Mr. TBD,

I am writing you concerning your property located at 1236 TBD Road, New park, PA.I would first like to introduce myself to you. My name is YOUR NAME and I am a resident of York County. I live in Stewartstown. I am a responsible 40 year old man, with a lovely wife of 9 years, and a 7-year old son. I am a Professional by trade (Mechanical Engineer), however, because of my love of history and archeology, one of my hobbies is to hunt for old relics, coins, and civil war artifacts using my handheld metal detector; not for profit, just for the excitement of searching and recovering pieces of history.
I am currently looking for a few more places in the area to detect on. The best locations tend to be older farmsteads and properties that would be considered historical. Your property at 1236 TBD Road fits the criteria.
I respectfully ask that you consider allowing me to metal detect your property. I have years of experience in the metal detecting hobby, and will respect your property if allowed to detect on it. I only cut a small flap of sod, flip it back, retrieve the item, then recover the small hole without any trace I was there. I also remove any trash or debris from your property that I recover (such as buried nails, bottles, rusted iron, etc.)
I have enclosed a self addressed stamped envelope for your convenience to return the permission form (just sign and date). Also enclosed is a liability waiver for you to keep which I have signed so you do not have to worry about any liability arising from my being on your property. In addition, I have enclosed a copy of my “Pennsylvania State Police Criminal Record Check” which indicates I do not and never have had a criminal record (to ensure you that I am indeed a law abiding citizen).
Thank you for your time and consideration.
Best Regards,
Your Name

Waiver:
LIABILITY WAIVER

In consideration of permission to use a metal detector to search the property at:
1234 Smith Road
Shrewsbury, PA (York County)

I, Your Name, agree to release from all liability for personal injury or property damage I may suffer as the result of my searching said property. This release is binding and discharges said owner, his/hers heirs, executors, and administrators from all actions, causes of actions, claims and demands for damage, loss, injury, which I may sustain while metal detecting on the above property.

_______________________Signature __________Date
Your NAme
Your Address Road
City, State zip

Permission "Slip":
Permission to Metal Detect on Private Property

I, ________________________, agree to allow
(owners name or agent)

Your NAme
Your Address
City, State zip

To use a metal detector to search and recover buried coins, relics, and artifactslocatd on property at

XYZ Property Street Address
Shrewsbury, PA (York County)

It is understood that recovery consists of the digging of small holes with hand tools which will be repaired as nearly as possible to original condition. No other property damage will occur during recovery,and all possible steps will be taken to ensure that the property is left in the same condition or better than found. All trash found will be removed and disposed of.

__________________________Signature __________Date

Like it a lot. Remember if you ask and get a no, you are no worse off than before you asked.

Very true. I let my business cards do my asking, got a couple of young kids looking for work this summer lined up to go put the cards in the door cracks....Kroger did the same thing a few days ago with some college kids. Cheap labor and not paying for stamps or burning gasoline!!

Dusty

Back
Top Bottom