Same size and shape as a III cent, but rings up different

"Detectorist"

Forum Supporter
Does this look familiar to anyone? I started cleaning this coin (?) using electrolysis tonight. It's really thin and matches the size of a III cent piece...but it's ringing up different.

16649511_706585456177864_396057266712401477_n.jpg

Looks like it could be, i would try lemon juice before anything else some people say lemon juice will do wonders to a 3c

pic of back?

The first three years of the 3cent silver were 75% silver. All three of mine are from then and they all came out with a stubborn dark patina. Not as dark as what you have but its hard to tell what you have from the pic

Could be the Nickel version which would be worse off than the silver version.

There seems to be a set of stars in a circle near the rim. Neither the nickel nor silver three cent pieces had stars like that. I'm thinking that possibly it's a Civil War Token.

Really hard to say. The picture is for all intents and purposes, picture that ~90% of consists of your hand, with the other 10% being a small coin in the center. When you want something identified, it helps to have the picture be mostly of what you want identified. 90% coin, 10% hand is a better ration.

Really hard to say. The picture is for all intents and purposes, picture that ~90% of consists of your hand, with the other 10% being a small coin in the center. When you want something identified, it helps to have the picture be mostly of what you want identified. 90% coin, 10% hand is a better ration.

lol, I thought the detail in that photo for the coin showed a lot. It's a really small coin, if I try to zoom in too close, it gets blurry. Geeze...

Don't mind him, he's counting down days til spring :laughing: great find! What does it ring up as?

52 on the Deus on 11.7
50-52 on the AT Pro
12.12 on CTX 3030

This matches nickel ranges for me on all of the machines but it's way too small to be a III cent (nickel).

The Three Cent Nickel test coin I have rings up as:

41-42 on the Deus on 11.7
45-46 on the AT Pro
12.04 on CTX 3030

It can't be a III cent :(

Possibly a button with a broken off shank? I've dug buttons off of farm fields that I originally thought were weird tiny tokens or coins. Further inspection resulted in me finding a tiny mark where the shank had once been. Buttons can pop up in the mid range, high range (depending on size and composition), and low range, especially if it's mixed in with some iron! I hope you can ID it! GL and HH!!!!!

-nickors

lol, I thought the detail in that photo for the coin showed a lot. It's a really small coin, if I try to zoom in too close, it gets blurry. Geeze...

The more pixel information that is just the object you want identified means it is easier to manipulate the image. An image that is all coin doesn't need to be blown up as much as a small image does (and the small image will get blocky pretty quickly). Not trying to be a troll or anything. The more information given to us here means it will be easier to identify things for you. Pixel data is information.

Don't mind him, he's counting down days til spring :laughing: great find! What does it ring up as?

24 more shopping days until Easter Daylight Savings Time. 33 more shopping days until Spring.

First picture looks like this to me...

You can see the stars and the C.

<°)))>{

Attachments

• IMG_20170216_125515.jpg
    IMG_20170216_125515.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 303
First picture looks like this to me...

You can see the stars and the C.

<°)))>{

Actually, that's exactly what I thought it looked like too, but it didn't ring as silver. Someone on another site suggested it was a wick wheel, you can make out the circle on one side.

Thanks to everyone who offered assistance...sorry for a crappy outcome lol.

attachment.php

It sure looks more like copper than silver, but ringing up at 50-52 on the AT PRO would be nickel??
Can you measure the diameter?

3-cent silver is 14mm:yes:
3-cent nickel is 18mm:yes:

Back
Top Bottom