Equinox 800 Maiden Voyage

Compass

Forum Supporter
Today was my first hunt with the Equinox. It was pretty exciting to use a new detector, my first with target id numbers and wireless headphones. For the most part I used the "Beach 1" mode and the only changes I made were bumping up the sensitivity and threshold levels. I met up with Romy, from this forum, and hunted some dry sand, wet sand (mostly) and up to my knees in salt water.
As most of you have probably heard, the Equinox is pretty light and easy to swing. The headphones are also lightweight and pretty comfortable. I have a feeling that the headphones won't be as effective at blocking out wind noise as my other detectors's bigger, bulkier headphones but today I could hear the signals well. It was rainy today and I was concerned about getting the headphones wet so I wore a shower cap over them. I will definitely be getting some waterproof headphones when available.
The sounds that the Equinox makes will take me some time to get used to. I was hunting at a pretty trashy beach and the Equinox was reacting to a lot of small, non-ferrous targets. 1 hole I dug yielded a nail, a paper-clip and a greenish-brown nickel (reading 13). It took me a few minutes but I finally could make out the uniquely angled neckline of a Liberty or "V" nickel- 1908!
picture.php

It didn't seem too deep- only a few inches but I think that I'm starting to understand the Equinox's ability to sniff out good targets among the less desirable ones. I found myself using "pinpoint" quite a bit when there were so many targets close to one another. When pinpointing, it's pretty surprising how little the coil has to move to center the target- I never realized that my other detectors were so much slower to respond to targets than the Equinox is.
After finding a couple dozen or so coins (mostly copper pennies) I got a reading of around 25 and scooped out my first bit of silver for the Nox- a mercury dime:
picture.php

So much more to learn about this detector but I think it's going to fit in well with my Excal and Dual Field. It definitely is a fun machine to use. Still need to test it in the surf, fresh water, black sand, and dirt. I was hoping to be one of the lucky ones who have found gold on their first hunt with the Equinox but I will gladly take a 110 year-old coin and a little silver- the gold will come. GL&HH!

I found the pinpoint to be a little off on my first few hunts but I put that down to inexperience with the machine, but yes, it does seem to lock on quickly

Way to go! So far I have had two detectors on the first hunt pull gold rings. The BHID300 and the CTX. And the BHID some people came and got me after a lady lost a real expensive wedding set. With a good clue found it in about 45 seconds:lol:. Hoping by the time my Nox gets delivered some sand moved to help my odds of hitting gold the first time out. Gold luck!

Congrats on the new machine and neat scores. That shower cap idea was brilliant no matter how silly you may have looked! :lol:

Nice first hunt Compass, Congrats on the Merc and the V!
Sounds like another 2-3 months for the waterproof phones, hold on to that shower cap.
Great idea btw!

Very cool finds! You’re off to a great start! Congrats on the V and Merc!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks Rattlehead! I guess we both are. ;) However, I'm sure that the best is yet to come. :yes:

I found the pinpoint to be a little off on my first few hunts but I put that down to inexperience with the machine, but yes, it does seem to lock on quickly
Yes. It's difficult for me to explain how the Nox reacts- It's unlike anything I've hunted with before. :yes:

Way to go! So far I have had two detectors on the first hunt pull gold rings. The BHID300 and the CTX. And the BHID some people came and got me after a lady lost a real expensive wedding set. With a good clue found it in about 45 seconds:lol:. Hoping by the time my Nox gets delivered some sand moved to help my odds of hitting gold the first time out. Gold luck!
Thank you! There is a decent possibility that I will find gold on my 2nd time out with the Nox. I'm heading out today to look for a ring that I was contacted to find. Would that count??? :grin:

Very nice and thanks for the evaluation.

I think when Minlab replaces the CTX, their new machine is going to be awesome. Expensive, but awesome!
You are very welcome Scuba. I believe that Fisher will also come up with something soon. Exciting times ahead. :yes:

Congrats on the new machine and neat scores. That shower cap idea was brilliant no matter how silly you may have looked! :lol:
Thanks Felix. I think Romy is posting a vid but, hopefully, it was before I donned the shower cap- I think. :?:

Well thats pretty cool! Lots of great reports coming in from the field! Thanks Compass!
Thanks Mud! Yes, I have noticed that as well. Still early but there does seem something a little special about this machine. :yes:

Nice finds and good write up . Thanks and congrats .
Thanks adriondak, I appreciate the comment!:yes:

Excellent information, thanks. I am looking forward to getting my 800 to the beach, too.
Thanks CC! Best of luck!

Nice first hunt Compass, Congrats on the Merc and the V!
Sounds like another 2-3 months for the waterproof phones, hold on to that shower cap.
Great idea btw!
Thanks Ron, The waterproof headphones can wait- what I really want is the 6" coil! :yes:

Congrats

Nice hunt, i found a Merc also with the Equinox, and your wright, a gold chain can register on ID as a 1 or 2, i was digging 8 and up, but i want the chains this summer the CTX3030s and the Excalibur's miss:yes: that's wright :lol: , i thought Romy would have you on video, maybe next time , happy hunting , Earl

Good report Compass, today I set my recovery speed at 7 ..iron bias always at 0. Park 2
Itried a hunted out school(1922) short hunt, got some quarters pennies and a cut penny?
Super trashy lots of low blips!
I'm really liking the Equinox and it pinpoints very well and id's great!

Sounds like you're learning your Equinox well. Keep us posted if you learn anything interesting about the machine.

Nicely done. Gotta see a pic of you geared up with the extra shower cap accessory :D

Back
Top Bottom