Old copper and silver

Goat88

Elite Member
Low tide at my local beach today. Scored the quarter right away then hit the ring both in the wet sand. Rang around 12-03 on the Ctx. Weighs 1.4 g. I do have a question about the ring. The stamp inside is too far gone to read. I tested it with 10k and it took some time but it did dissolve. 14 k ate it quick. More likely is it plaited or prob 9k? I have a 9 k acid on the way. Only second gold this year 48th silver. Thanks for the input. Good luck out there.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 572
:dingding:Yellow is yellow no matter the K!

Nice work on the ring and silver!!

I guess I'll say it, and its only my opinion, and just being honest with you..

Are you sure the ring isn't brass, brass can hold 10K acid for a good while sometimes, and it can also come out looking pretty gold looking.. The difference is brass, at least around here, comes out looking sandblasted, where as even the 100 year old tarnished 10K does not get that satin/sandblasted look to it...

It could just be the pictures, and I hope I'm wrong...

Congrats on the keepers either way!!

<*)))>{

Brass rings close to silver I believe. More of a 11-44. Color is off in the pic. I cleaned it a bit more and really looks more golden now. Light though. Not magnetic. Is brass magnetic?

Brass in not magnetic.. Also with that weight I would expect it to ring at or lower than a nickel.. I've found plenty of brass rings that came in at foil also..

Shined up brass looks exactly, exactly, like gold..

<°)))>{

Brass rings close to silver I believe. More of a 11-44. Color is off in the pic. I cleaned it a bit more and really looks more golden now. Light though. Not magnetic. Is brass magnetic?

Good job on the silver but I have to agree with Ice the piece looks pitted to me... brass will hold with 10k acid.

Nice work! Sounds like you were hunting the salt? If so then I doubt brass would look that clean. The brass I've found on the beach is usually discolored or corroded. That applies to plated rings as well. Could very well be 10k. Have yet to find silver at one of our Puget Sound beaches. Someday. :cool:

Nice work! Sounds like you were hunting the salt? If so then I doubt brass would look that clean. The brass I've found on the beach is usually discolored or corroded. That applies to plated rings as well. Could very well be 10k. Have yet to find silver at one of our Puget Sound beaches. Someday. :cool:

Like I said, I hope I'm wrong.. But looking at a lot of salt water brass, it seems its just like fresh water in that sometimes its covered in crust, and sometimes it tumbles around and gets bright and shiny...

picture.php

<*)))>{

All the brass I've found on the beach (spikes and that railway lock) have been a high pitch tone with high numbers, much different than this. But anything is possible I guess. Just have to wait and see. I'll update when I get the 9k acid. Thanks.

Of course a RR lock would be a high tone...

I would also think it would weigh more than 1.4 if it was made of gold..

If you made a RR lock out of gold it would be a high tone as well... Try scanning a .22 shell..

9K acid will probably hold if 10K almost holds, but that really proves nothing. Stainless will hold 22K, but its still stainless...

There are parts on the ring that show significant material loss, low k gold can get crusty, but it does not pit like that.. Your ring shows where electrolysis has eaten away at the zinc.. Much like a zinc anode on a boat...

Just trying to help...

<*)))>{

All the brass I've found on the beach (spikes and that railway lock) have been a high pitch tone with high numbers, much different than this. But anything is possible I guess. Just have to wait and see. I'll update when I get the 9k acid. Thanks.

Brass for me is a midtone... I don't have a screen to look at :D If brass holds at 10k then its going to hold at 9 k :yes:

Thanks guys. Guess I'll have to bring it into my guy tomorrow to be sure. I'll let ya know the outcome.

Good luck!!

Like I said, I hope to be wrong and often am if you ask my wife.. Lol..

<°)))>{

Okay jumping to conclusions, not gold. Copper and zinc they say. The quarter is real though. Scouts honor.

Okay jumping to conclusions, not gold. Copper and zinc they say. The quarter is real though. Scouts honor.

Dang! Copper + zinc= brass, but like I mentioned, yours has some of the zinc ate away...

Good luck on the next one!!!

<°)))>{

Back
Top Bottom