Curious sanded in question

Just got back from 5 days of hunting South Beach, I would say it's currently very sanded in + rough surf! Found very little out in the water.

Bottle tops, pull tabs and pennies (lots of pennies) in the wet sand.

Filled a large salad bowl with bottle tops, pull tabs and $15+ worth of loose change from dry sand.

Gonna head back in July/August and try again. :yes:

I am 60 or so miles north of Ms Kapidr's beaches and I will verify her very accurate conclusions. We have typically had the Army Corp of Engineers restore 1-5 miles of our beaches every year. This year they don't see the need because we are so sanded in. I found my last ring at the beach last June and even then it was very deep and barely picked up the signal. In the last 3 weeks I have found about 2 dozen tent stakes and little else. And those were typically at least 3-4 inches down instead of on the surface.

Thank God for parks and playgrounds!

Hello Millwood, What Kapidr said about the Beach conditions was spot on. I thought I would pass on a couple tips of my own to help out. First I always try to hunt the beach at high tide to low tide. Because if your hunting at low tide to high tide your fighting the incoming tide when trying to recover a targets. Secondly I start detecting the beach at the top edge area of the dry sand were the Wet area starts and detect straight down to the waters edge and turn around and detect back up to the dry sand area were it meets the Wet area again but overlaping my swings where I started. This process will result in finding coin targets and after 4 or 5 targets are found if you look back at the holes you have dug you will see the HOT SPOTS where the tide has deposited the coins and then just follow the hole patterns you left behind.This has worked well for me. Good Luck.

Thanks everyone for the comments, information and suggestions.
I did make it to the beach, even though i had to cut my trip short, I did get in some detecting. I didn't find much but it was a new experience and I do plan on going again. I found a little clad ( maybe 2 dollars worth) and of course a good bit of trash. At 1 low tide I did noticed about 2 feet in the water was a cut ( ditch or trench) that was about 3 feet deeper than the rest. I searched it for a while and the only thing I could fine was 2 lead weights. What suprised me was the next day at low tide there was no cut, which really made me think more about this thread and the power and the speed in which the waves can change things.
This thread and my beach hunt has been a great learning experience. Once again thanks to eveyone for the replies and the help.

new to forum..beach hunter on outer banks of nc..been living here all my life and thanks to your post I have located beach cams for the beaches in my area..never thought of that..sure will save me a ton of time..thanks for that info
chemist

Back
Top Bottom