Any Idea What This Is???

AnthonyT

Found this near an old building site. My best guess is it is a blade off of some sort of horse drawn farm implement. It has a curve to it front to back and appears to be beveled along the curved edge. About 18" long. It is really corroded so there was no way to see if there are any markings or stamping on it. Thanks, Anthony

Attachments

• MysteryMetal2.jpg
    MysteryMetal2.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 382
  • MysteryMetal1.jpg
    MysteryMetal1.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 371
Old draw blade/fleshing knife, one side broken. Used for fleshing raw hog/cattle or fur hides. Would have had wooden handles on each end.

Attachments

• 406F0065-67DC-44B1-A1EA-F1E15D2A4C81.jpg
    406F0065-67DC-44B1-A1EA-F1E15D2A4C81.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 342
amc rulz - I think you nailed it. I have fleshed thousands of hides but the knife I use is a lot smaller. Makes sense one for cattle or hog hides would be larger. I could tell it was a blade of some sort but the small tang on the end was confusing me. Makes sense for the wooden handles on a fleshing knife. I am fairly certain I didn't break it pulling it out of the ground but I'll head back to that spot and see if I can track down the missing piece. If I can it will go up on the fur shed wall.

I'm going to respectfully disagree with amc rulzs’ assessment of this being a [broken] draw knife. The way it tapers at the unbroken end doesn’t really match up with any draw knives that I have seen, and if you use your imagination and “continue” the broken end, it will not form a very symmetrical arc. I’m not sure what it is, but I do not believe it is a draw knife. Of course, I have been known to be wrong on occasion…:)

The blade has a bend in it front to back from being in the ground. It is bent more towards the broken end. The picture makes it look like the curve of the blade is more towards the broken end than it is. If you flatten the piece out a bit it looks much more like a draw knife would look. I'm going to try and round up the broken end although there is a good chance they just chucked it into some random spot in the woods when it broke.

Personally I think it looks like an old paper cutter blade. The type they had in schools and stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At first glance I too thought draw knife but it would have been broken off too straight. Than corn knife occurred to me but their blades lack a curve. Don't know.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom