Charging the Nox

Looks like I’m a little late to the party since you’ve already bought a charger. But for the benefit of others who might have the same question, here’s what I’ve been using for the last year and half that I’ve owned my EQ800.

For charging at home, I hook the provided Minelab charging cable to a Legrand combination standard/USB-A wall outlet courtesy of Lowe’s:

View attachment 465902

When away from home but charging indoors, I use an old Anker brand wall USB charger that I had laying around the house (I don’t think they make this particular variety anymore, but anything from Anker is quality stuff):

View attachment 465903

My car is old, so I don’t have built in USB ports. I have a cigarette lighter style power inverter with USB-A ports and a standard outlet that lives in the car for device charging:

View attachment 465916

For charging in the field if necessary, I have a Anker PowerCore brick available. Its specs are a bit worn off in the pic, but the brick stores 26800 mAh, which was enough to charge an iPad and my cell phone multiple times. I’ve only used it a couple times to give the Equinox a partial charge, so I don’t know for sure how many times it could charge the detector, but the partial charges didn’t put much of a dent in the brick’s charge:

View attachment 465917

View attachment 465918

Holy smokes tango you've got it all! Nice. Thanks. HH

My two cents on charging the nox. I had to get my battery replaced after it stopped holding a charge.

1. Watch out for for black sand build up on the magnetic strip on the cord. Black sand attaches here and will cause problems. Hard to get it out too.

2. There are 4 small metal dots on the nox charging area. This is where the cord connects. The upper left dot is the one that gets corroded. If too corroded, it won't charge properly.

3. Use a good charger as mentioned

4. You can overcharge the nox. Minelab instructed me to not keep the nox plugged all the time. Also, the nox should have a solid green when fully charged. If the light starts flashing erratically (like mine does) then unplug it immediately! My experience is that when it does this it actually drains the battery down and may be hurting the battery.

My two cents on charging the nox. I had to get my battery replaced after it stopped holding a charge.

1. Watch out for for black sand build up on the magnetic strip on the cord. Black sand attaches here and will cause problems. Hard to get it out too.

2. There are 4 small metal dots on the nox charging area. This is where the cord connects. The upper left dot is the one that gets corroded. If too corroded, it won't charge properly.

3. Use a good charger as mentioned

4. You can overcharge the nox. Minelab instructed me to not keep the nox plugged all the time. Also, the nox should have a solid green when fully charged. If the light starts flashing erratically (like mine does) then unplug it immediately! My experience is that when it does this it actually drains the battery down and may be hurting the battery.

Did Minelab say you can overcharge Equinox? Or did they say it was a bad idea to keep it constantly plugged into a charger?

Did Minelab say you can overcharge Equinox? Or did they say it was a bad idea to keep it constantly plugged into a charger?

Yea I worded that poorly. Said it was a bad idea to keep it plugged in all the time as it would wear down battery life

Well yesterday My sister came over. We've decided to see each other and just not get close. So... The brand new Nox stood in a corner right with his little sister, the Xterra 705. She kept him company. Today its sitting there blinking. On charge. Next I will put the screen saver on then amble outside to the yard I've pounded for some initial tests. A handful of clad n silver, a couple nails and lots of playing around. I did turn it on once and it came with half a charge but right away my wifi drove it nuts!! I quickly learned you can easily adjust sensitivity by just pressing plus or minus without looking for a setting and I cranked it way down. I put it away. I did like the sens settings being so quick without changing a setting as long as your in detect mode. For now he sits and blinks😊

Back
Top Bottom