Why did they say no?

Bill_Ace_350, I think your on target with the landowner thinking what am I getting out of this. I think permissions may have to come with the landowner getting something out of the deal and this depending on the area you live in. Saw a rundown farmhouse 1880's for sale hadn't had the grass mowed probably since last September. Called the realtor up and offered to mow once free for a permission to detect. He couldn't say deal fast enough. This isn't going to happen a lot but think you got to think outside the box in these times.

I have always voluntarily showed the landowners my finds. I found a souvenir spoon from the world's fair. They thought it was real cool. Asked me what I was going to do with it.

Told them clean it and display it, which I did.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, if you're lucky to get a permission, remember you aren't doing the landowners a favor, they are doing you a favor.

If they set rules, you are free to accept them or free to move on.

If you accept them, I think you should honor them.

If you make a finds arrangement, I think you should honor it.

Off of my soapbox....

Last edited by a moderator:
The farmhouse produced two IHP's and a sterling ring from about 1890 - 1910. A few early Lincoln's. The soils were all mixed up probably from some grading around the house in the 1950's. It had been rented out for several years and the trash was unreal. But I suspected this before I made the deal. The grass was high enough you needed to mow it to be able to swing the detector anyways. The lot was two acres. I have commercial mowing equipment from a small side business to do this so only took a little less than two hours to do. Owner and realtor couldn't care less what was in the ground but the realtor did stop by one day when I was there to see how things were going. The rest of the farm (20 acres) was being sold in subdivision lots behind the house with a new use-in-common driveway. Been there a year no lots sold yet I don't think. The farmhouse and the lot it was left on what is called a trashout in the mowing business. Hard to get landscapers to mow it because of all the potential hidden obstacles there. AND most owner/realtors don't want to pay much to mow it as they consider this lost money and it's to keep the county off they're back until it's sold. Think it worked out ok for me though.

I have always voluntarily showed the landowners my finds. I found a souvenir spoon from the world's fair. They thought it was real cool. Asked me what I was going to do with it.

Told them clean it and display it, which I did.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, if you're lucky to get a permission, remember you aren't doing the landowners a favor, they are doing you a favor.

If they set rules, you are free to accept them or free to move on.

If you accept them, I think you should honor them................

Agreed. I've made many different pitches and arrangements. I do what I say I'm going to do. Following up with the property owners can (and has) led to other permissions.

Reminds me ...

Clad coins is the anwer!!

I give kids from landowners a present. Or the landowners for their kids.
The boys i give a musket ball (aka "pirat bullet" :laughing: ) although girls sometimes also are interested in them, as those i find here mostly are from hunting and not from battlefields. Girls i give clad coins for start, and the boys to if they prefer them. Or i give both if it's about a lot of land.

I understand that musketballs are more rare overthere..
But i think you can make those kids happy with a 50+ yo (worthless) clad coin. A good reason to not reject clad coins as some say do. :D

And if you make the kids happy, the landowners will .... ;)

.... for their kids.
The boys i give a musket ball (aka "pirat bullet" :laughing: )....

And if you make the kids happy, the landowners will .... ;)

Yup. Bingo. "pirate money". As the leader of 4th grade school tours I can say that this psychiatry is priceless. The moment you have those kids attention (hanging on your every word) is the moment that their parents "love you to death" :)

Back
Top Bottom