Equinox Coil broke what should I do?

liquidshredda

I was beach hunting yesterday and where my shaft connects to my coil snapped off. Ive had the detector about 2 years I think. Should I just buy another coil ? Should I contact mine lab and see if it’s under warranty ? Or are their ways to repair it. WhAt would you do.
97776c93fdc39f494caa98604c329dd7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Search Equinox coil ear repair. You can 3d print a slick fix. Also can print ear stiffeners to prevent them breaking on a new coil.

I was beach hunting yesterday and where my shaft connects to my coil snapped off. Ive had the detector about 2 years I think. Should I just buy another coil ? Should I contact mine lab and see if it’s under warranty ? Or are their ways to repair it. WhAt would you do.
97776c93fdc39f494caa98604c329dd7.jpg

Here is a link to a thread that I had started a while back. If you have access to a 3-D printer This will work well to fix it. One of the patterans will use zip ties to hold it on your coil.

https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=277780

3D Printed Support

Somewhere a while back someone I believe may have posted the file for these to be 3D printed or sent it to me. They slip over the coil ears and add extra support. I know they won't help you now but once you get your coil replaced/repaired my Minelab you may want to get these done. You're not the only one to have those ears snap off.

Attachments

• ME.jpg
    ME.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 1,224
Here is a link to a thread that I had started a while back. If you have access to a 3-D printer This will work well to fix it. One of the patterans will use zip ties to hold it on your coil.

https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=277780

That link does not bring me to any 3D program that I can see. I’m not sure there’s anyone in my town anyway that can do it. I’m in a small town Guess I gotta contact Minelab and use my old sand shark while I wait

Definitely call ML. What do you have to lose but a little time? After you get a new coil make spacers the same shape as the original washers and put them under the washers. The plastic from a milk jug works pretty well. It will increase the thickness of the lower shaft slightly and prevent the ears from bending in.

Cliff

That link does not bring me to any 3D program that I can see. I’m not sure there’s anyone in my town anyway that can do it. I’m in a small town Guess I gotta contact Minelab and use my old sand shark while I wait

Here's the Web address to take you directly to the 3-D printer page. You will see a blue area that says download file.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3949618
There is also a place called detecting doodads he sells of pretty inexpensive.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200711-204837_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200711-204837_Chrome.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 1,206
This has happened to me twice. Called minelab and they took care of the first one. However, another coil is a replacement and not a fix. The ears are too thin.

After the first break I purchased ear stiffeners. There are a few on ebay that sell these. I bought the stiffener and guess what? It broke again! :facepalm: it was my fault. But with the ear stiffener you can epoxy it and the broken ears together to the coil. Use epoxy for plastic only. Its strong as a tank now.

1. Call minelab and see of they will replace
2. Buy ear stiffener and use plastic epoxy all around its base and on the ears
3. Never worry about it again

Here is the one I bought

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Minelab-Eq...ners-by-Sun-Ray-Select-11-or-15-/114134633440

The coil is warrantied for 3 years. I recently sent my Equinox in for repair for a different reason and had my detector back in less than 1 week with a brand new coil. I can’t speak highly enough about their warranty service.

I did have to pay to ship it to Pennsylvania, but for them to have it back to me in less than a week is incredible service!

I think minelab has started making the ears thicker as well. Obviously they were too thin and many had the issue, I would say it is covered under manufacturer defect.

No to the thicker ears, yes you have a 3 year warranty. Ive broken 2 so its no big deal ML replaced both quickly. DO get one of those ear 3d stiffeners..... worth every penny. Ive not broken one sense. MLs been really good about the repairs on this machine..... but they havent been real good about fixing the problems. So its going to be interesting to see what repair costs are once the warranty is over. Im guessing that box will be nearly as pricy as a new 600 which would make sense.

I was beach hunting yesterday........

Contact minelab. Yes there are ways to repair it with a 3d printed coil ear repair kit. There are also 3d printed stiffeners to make the ears harder to break off in the first place. People sell both types of 3d printed parts online.

Get the warranty replacement. And for those of us like me who haven't yet broken them we need to buy/3d print the coil ear stiffeners. I really like my Equinox but between the coil ears, wobbly shaft, fragile arm cuff and leaking problems I have to say their workmanship sucks. It is a great detector in a shoddy package.

Sorry for stinking up your thread. I was having a frustrating Monday at work. LOL :mad:

I do love my NOX despite its issues.

Good luck!

I’ve had several break over the years and attempts to patch or reenforce have not held up.

I’ve gone to the hardware store and found PVC joints large enough to fit over the end of the shaft. They are quite strong. I drill holes in them and using a Dremel cutter, cut a piece out of the side so the detector can lay flat. I then use a sander to sand off any remaining pieces of the ears so I have a flat area on the coil and I also sand the bottom of the PVC joint to rough it up a bit so the adhesive will stick better. I use PVC primer and glue to attach the 2 pieces and let them dry 24 hours.
Attaching the coil to the shaft can be a little tricky as there’s usually some give so I use nylon or rubber gaskets or washers to fill the gaps. You can buy gasket material at an auto parts store and make your own. I have also added Elmers glue and allow it to seep in between the pieces to give additional strength and rigidity.
I also paint the PVC but usually in a different color to jazz up my machine a bit.
I’ve done 3 coils and it takes less than an hour and a few bucks, much less than the cost of a new coil. Plus I’m sure it’s much stronger than ordinary ears.

I’ve had several break over the years and attempts to patch or reenforce have not held up.

I’ve gone to the hardware store and found PVC joints large enough to fit over the end of the shaft. They are quite strong. I drill holes in them and using a Dremel cutter, cut a piece out of the side so the detector can lay flat. I then use a sander to sand off any remaining pieces of the ears so I have a flat area on the coil and I also sand the bottom of the PVC joint to rough it up a bit so the adhesive will stick better. I use PVC primer and glue to attach the 2 pieces and let them dry 24 hours.
Attaching the coil to the shaft can be a little tricky as there’s usually some give so I use nylon or rubber gaskets or washers to fill the gaps. You can buy gasket material at an auto parts store and make your own. I have also added Elmers glue and allow it to seep in between the pieces to give additional strength and rigidity.
I also paint the PVC but usually in a different color to jazz up my machine a bit.
I’ve done 3 coils and it takes less than an hour and a few bucks, much less than the cost of a new coil. Plus I’m sure it’s much stronger than ordinary ears.

Any pics for us visual learners?

It’s under warranty , call Minelab and get a ROA and send it to then.
It’s caused by overnighting the coil blot.

I wonder how much might also be caused by the shaft wobble. Was the with the stock shaft?

R5

Back
Top Bottom