South bay report 1-20-2018

Pyriteboy

A bit of a stumble out of the gate for the 2018 season.....2.5 hours at 3 beaches (Hermosa, Manhattan, and Dockweiler) produced what is contained in the pan. Although I failed to get my coil over the right kind of targets, it was good to get out once again. The best looking ground was in Manhattan and it gave up 0 targets; sometimes it's like that but you have to keep swinging....

Jerry

Attachments

• DSCN8523 (800x600).jpg
    DSCN8523 (800x600).jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 284
Jerry, I was wondering about the South Bay- thanks! So where were all the targets- do they get buried as soon as they wash out or do they get whisked out to sea out of reach? This weekend really puzzles me. I found a fair amount but not below the best looking cuts! :?:

thanx for the report. That last swell didn't do much good for us up here @ Monterey Bay. I heard of one fellow who had 150-ish coins and a single gold ring, on the first day of the swell. But ... he had to work for them. Hence, not much benefit on that system for us.

Hey George,
Me thinks the lack of a good sustained downhill current was responsible for the surprising results here in the south bay. I think the lack of wind through most of the period is the culprit. Normally we get a strong downhill (north to south) current, aided by the wind, when we get hit with the winter swells. I think the current works to cut the south bay beaches down much more than it cuts the beaches back.
Jerry

Hey George,
Me thinks the lack of a good sustained downhill current was responsible for the surprising results here in the south bay. I think the lack of wind through most of the period is the culprit. Normally we get a strong downhill (north to south) current, aided by the wind, when we get hit with the winter swells. I think the current works to cut the south bay beaches down much more than it cuts the beaches back.
Jerry
Thanks Jerry, I think you are correct. I do think that targets were being washed out but they needed to be found before sinking down out of reach of our detectors. One reason I think this is because below a fresh 6' cut I was finding deep zinc pennies. :?:

... One reason I think this is because below a fresh 6' cut I was finding deep zinc pennies. :?:

Well I'm glad you were sharing in our central CA misery. Haha.

That last swell just brought sand down or something. A few guys found some pockets, but ... all in all, it was still light stuff. Even some aluminum, bottle caps, etc... @ Santa Cruz main beach. That SHOULD have washed out, if/when the erosion is *just right*. When conditions are right, all light stuff is gone, leaving only heavier targets.

Back
Top Bottom