Spanish Galleon -- Atocha "Treasure" ship diagram

DaviDs

Forum Supporter
This was on social media today and I thought my FMDM peeps would appreciate...

63b1090928a7d685c0c6176ecef6d5c9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Well, I would appreciate it a whole lot more if you gave me some helpful hints on finding some of its treasure! :lol:

Wished I lived closer... very interesting even if I'll never be right there searching. Thanks for sharing!

A good 30 years ago we stopped at their museum, gift shop and they had the smallest silver coin for sale. Eight dollars. I thought what a great keepsake, reminder of our trip to a real treasure site. Gave the guy a ten And he almost screams that's eight HUNDRED dollars sir !!! Eight hundred !! An embarrassing lesson in front of the others that were there . Thing is, I'm pretty sure that was the moment that pirate seed was planted. Been dreaming ever since !

A good 30 years ago we stopped at their museum, gift shop and they had the smallest silver coin for sale. Eight dollars. I thought what a great keepsake, reminder of our trip to a real treasure site. Gave the guy a ten And he almost screams that's eight HUNDRED dollars sir !!! Eight hundred !! An embarrassing lesson in front of the others that were there . Thing is, I'm pretty sure that was the moment that pirate seed was planted. Been dreaming ever since !

RaoFL!!!! Lol. I might have done the same.....and certainly been dreaming too. Although I've hunted the area quite a bit, still nadda

I go down to Key West every year...The Mel Fisher museum is always a great visit.

Attachments

• Attach11502_20180123_103116.jpg
    Attach11502_20180123_103116.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 2,200
As a wood boatbuilder and Naval architect, I never understood these Spanish Galleons construction attributes?? Really complicated with compound curves, short waterline, sail sq ft ratio to width etc...No wonder a lot of them sank..deservedly so...

The Transglobal Ocean Chinese Junks from the Song dynasty?..yeah..I get that..especially using an Elm post for the rudder and gear...steering is important, and about nothing can break Elm...anyway...damndest thing I've ever seen for an ocean going vessel design, the 'Spanish Atocha' traditionally accepted hull?....'Fat top heavy Guppy?' I wouldnt get on that damn thing to go gas up at the bait store let alone load it heavy with cursed Inca metal and try to make it across the Atlantic Ocean back to Spain!..

Nope...A really complicated and piss poor hydrodynamically designed hull there...deadly, Like a BMW, when all a guy needed was a Corolla...

interesting
thanks

You dang tooting its interesting DDN!! For a leisurely sail in the placid waters of the Mediterranean, fine... but to cross an Ocean, around the roaring 40's, to get a load of Inca gold and get back home?...Nope..definitely big Barge or Junk work!...thats Spaniards for you, always showing off...:laughing:.

Back
Top Bottom