Coil Ear Repair

Charly-in-CT-RI

Elite Member
Here is my fix to my broken ears on my metal detector coil. It is not elegant but it is by far the strongest repair that I have come up with. Previously, I tried to fix the broken ear with plastic washers. This fix lasted 3 or 4 hunts. The second repair was the Broken Ear Repair kit sold on the forums and the Flea. This fix was only OK since the coil wobbled a little.
The main component is a 1/2 conduit T box found in the electrical department at Home Depot. Cost was less then $3.
I cut off the connecting joints with a hacksaw and a Dremel. I then cut he top piece into two. The two top pieces are then PVC glues to the inside opening to support the outside walls and to close off one of the connecting openings. I then drilled holes so the bolt can go thru it.
For the coil, I dremelled the broken ear and the good ear. I sanded the location where I was going to glue the conduit box. I then glued and clamped the device to the coil.
It is steadier then the original ears.

View attachment 435832

View attachment 435833

View attachment 435834

View attachment 435835

View attachment 435836

View attachment 435837

View attachment 435838

View attachment 435839

View attachment 435840

Last edited:
I water tested twice and it is steadier than the original ears. I can dremmel the corners and spay paint it to make it look better. Let's see how it holds up before I put anymore effort into it.

I like it! I am also function over form - if it's pretty and doesn't work so what. You made it yours,good job.

What type of glue did you use to glue it to the coil?

I used PVC glue and PVC primer found in the plumbing department. I made sure the electrical box was PVC and I guessed the coil was also PVC. The primer and glue will wield the two surfaces together making it like a solid piece.

I've tried other glues and other repairs (not with the electric box). All failed after 10 hours of hunting. I bough the repair kit that uses tie wraps but it wobbled to much.

I've used the detector numerous times and in waist deep water. It is holding up and feels more sturdy than the original ears.

Interesting. PVC glue might work good actually. I was thinking 5 min epoxy but PVC glue will bond it better. Its almost like welding it. Its certainly not the prettiest fix but function beats aesthetics. Nice job, let us know how it works for you.

Brilliant creative thinking and nice job Charly! I like this kind of thing! Nobody but you is ever gonna see it anyway, and it works better than factory, so its a easy low cost fix and I thank you for the sharing of it!

:wow2: good work!

PVC glue... who da thought!

R5

Good job, if it works then no problem, me? I wouldn’t bother painting it 😃😃

Without a doubt the ugliest and best repair I’ve seen for what is quite a problem. I try to never put any weight on my machine when kneeling or rising. I have a Lesche Sampson digger I use as a crutch but I have broken SIX Garrett coils {~(5 8x5) in a very short period. I also tried plastic washers. Before and after they broke to no avail. I could have bought a fourth ATP for that much money.

Nicely done

I broke mine by not have a rubber washer. I bought the detector used and I never checked or took the coil off the rod. I owned the unit for 3 or 4 years and used it around 20 times a year. One day I notice the ear was wearing thin and the coil was flexing to much. Eventually it broke.

I've had the repaired coil out 5 times in and out of the water. By far this is my best repair and feels real solid.

After about forty years I finally broke the ears on a Garrett coil. I use the detector to get back to my feet and am surprised that I haven't broken one before. After closely examining the break, it appears that one side had never been fully glued in the first place. I bought the materials to fix the ears but just haven't got around to doing it. I am waiting for a rainy day when I can't take one of my other detectors out.

well you know
that if whites finds out about this
mary head lady there will be offering you a job!
just think of the benafits medical dental 401k
and 50 % off all detectors win win for you!!:laughing::laughing:

Back
Top Bottom