PinPointer on Beach useage...?

Seaking406

Elite Member
Greetings, I keep running into this same problem when on the beach. The MD picks up a good shallow repeatable target, I dig out a hole and sweep over it again with the MD in case the target was scooped out. Seawater seeps into the hole so when I put the Pinpointer into the hole, it beeps right away, due to the water. I read that if you insert the Pinpointer into the water hole and then turn it on, it will 'tune' itself to the water conditions, but this doesn't seem to work whereas the pointer will beep constantly, making it near impossible to pinpoint where the target is in the hole.. If curious enough I will dig out as large a hole as possible in hopes of getting the target out but then it disappears.. rather frustrating.

What is the proper method to deal with this Pinpointer in a water filled hole?

thanks in advance.

I've never hunted at a beach. Do beach hunters use pinpointers? I thought they use a sand scoop.

I take mine (and use mine) ALL THE TIME.. If you're in the water, there's no point, if your in the dry there's no point. If you're in the wet sand and it's a walk to get to the water to rinse/shake your scoop then why wouldn't you? Not very easy to rattle the thick sand out of a scoop. Tends to be clumpy. I dump it down, I confirm I got it out, I kick the sand to spread it out, then find it and some times it might be an ear ring backing that will fall through your scoop for example where the pin pointer can easily find it. So YES a pin pointer is valuable. Why would you not take it if you own one? Be sure it's water proof if you plan to buy one. The Carrot is a great choice.

I've never hunted at a beach. Do beach hunters use pinpointers? I thought they use a sand scoop.

You haven't seen the beaches around here.. unless it's been dry for weeks, it's heavy thick sand that doesn't seem to want to sift out of any sand scoop I've tried.. and a lot of rocks.. I've seen the videos of people walking around, dipping their scoops into the sand, sift and rattle gorgeous finds.. around here, it's a bit of a waste.. Pinpointers work great in dry sand, but in seawater filled holes, I've still haven't figured that one out..

No need for a pinpointer at the beach, scoop and sift. You need to look in the scoop and toss the shells or rocks out, but that takes maybe 30 seconds.

Good morning from across the pond.

You are are correct in putting the PP (Pin-Pointer) nose into the water or touching the wet sand then switch on the PP.

This will tune out the salinity and stop the PP from sounding off.

No need for a pinpointer at the beach, scoop and sift. You need to look in the scoop and toss the shells or rocks out, but that takes maybe 30 seconds.
X2
It's just one extra thing to carry. For the way I hunt in the water, wet sand or beach it's not needed. I have only used mine in the dirt.

If it is thick muddy sand you most likely are in a sheltered area with not much for waves, you should make a floating sifter out of plastic. then you can scoop and dump until you get your target. then use your pin pointer to find your target or break up the mud with your hand. After you find it recheck for another target then dump.

come down to San Diego. When the getting is good the "sand" is clay. Literally. That's when you're finding the signets and the 18xx's coins and the good stuff. Try shifting clay in your scoop. I've tried and I was up to my mouth in the wet. It aint happening. You have to reach in your scoop and grab a golf ball size of clay and squeeze it. Then it mooshes all over your hand and you continue. If you had a pinpointer in this situation.. well... don't you thnk it would help? Maybe at some other beaches it's gritty sand that never clumps. Great!, but not all places are the same places as the next. Why wouldn't you bring a tool that can be used if you have a tool to use?

Not really necessary for beach hunting IMO...To each there own though :yes: If you do take one to the beach, be sure to tether it to your belt or something, otherwise you run the risk of losing it..

I take mine (and use mine) ALL THE TIME.. If you're in the water, there's no point, if your in the dry there's no point. If you're in the wet sand and it's a walk to get to the water to rinse/shake your scoop then why wouldn't you? Not very easy to rattle the thick sand out of a scoop. Tends to be clumpy. I dump it down, I confirm I got it out, I kick the sand to spread it out, then find it and some times it might be an ear ring backing that will fall through your scoop for example where the pin pointer can easily find it. So YES a pin pointer is valuable. Why would you not take it if you own one? Be sure it's water proof if you plan to buy one. The Carrot is a great choice.

Same here. The amount of time saved by doing this, allows you to recover more targets during the course of your hunt. I never used to bring a pointer to the beach but when you're hunting in thick black stink mud or clay that doesn't break up easily in your sifter and won't funnel out of the scoop, the pointer is a god send.

The key is to get it out of the water filled hole. Dig more than you need to and make sure its out. I usually only use the PP if I feel that its small and going thru the scoop.

I rarely take a pin pointer to the beach. My detector tells me all I need to know about where the target is located. If it isn't in the sand pile then it is still in the hole.

There are Pulse Induction pinpointers. Having said that I never use one on the beach. Dig, toss, smear with the foot, find it again with detector. If it falls through the scoop twice it belongs to the surf Gods. I was told many years ago.....If you are bending over while beach hunting you are doing it the hard way.

Never use a PPer or even the PP on the machine. I know by the sound...it’s a small target. Ensure I have the target on the tip...2 fast scoops dump beside the hole and check hole if it’s out. Rarely is it not. One scoop where the target is raise it slowly until I can get my hand under the scoop. I can do this fairly fast....even I chest deep water unlike some guys you see running out of the water toward the beach:laughing:

Back
Top Bottom