Vintage Liquor Bottle?

teotwawki12

Elite Member
Nothing amazing to show, but it was a successful day... Took the 10 year old out (as it is Spring Break) so she would get her face out of the Ipad. She actually enjoyed digging for bottles. I found a couple jars (I'm running low on jars for my metal detecting junk) and a milk bottle which only reads "One Quart Liquid" - no dairy name. I already pulled a whole pile of nice milks here last fall and we were just scraping around the edges of my previous excavation.

Anyway, she was pretty happy with the amber liquor bottle (her first non-surface find). It does look pretty nice. Everything I've dug there has been late teens to 40's stuff. Would I be correct in believing her bottle to be a 30's or 40's whiskey bottle?

Attachments

• KIMG1016.jpg
    KIMG1016.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 431
  • KIMG1017.jpg
    KIMG1017.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 379
  • KIMG1019.jpg
    KIMG1019.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 384
  • KIMG1020.jpg
    KIMG1020.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 360
  • KIMG1022.jpg
    KIMG1022.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 367
  • KIMG1023.jpg
    KIMG1023.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 350
  • KIMG1024.jpg
    KIMG1024.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 373
:thumbsup: on getting the kid out and away from her phone for a bit. Maybe she'll take to our hobby. Very nice.

Does that diamond on the bottom of the liquor bottle have an "I" inside? I can't tell from your pic. It's tricky because both Illinois Glass (later Owens-Illinois) and Diamond Glass both used a diamond. Regardless, it looks like that bottle dates from circa 1915-1929, most likely WW1 years. https://www.glassbottlemarks.com/diamond-i-or-i-inside-a-diamond-mark-seen-on-antique-bottles/

Revisiting old dig sites can still produce some overlooked stuff. I do it a lot, especially in "dry" periods.

Last edited:
:thumbsup: on getting the kid out and away from her phone for a bit. Maybe she'll take to our hobby. Very nice.

Does that diamond on the bottom of the liquor bottle have an "I" inside? I can't tell from your pic. It's tricky because both Illinois Glass (later Owens-Illinois) and Diamond Glass both used a diamond. Regardless, it looks like that bottle dates from circa 1915-1929, most likely WW1 years. https://www.glassbottlemarks.com/diamond-i-or-i-inside-a-diamond-mark-seen-on-antique-bottles/

Revisiting old dig sites can still produce some overlooked stuff. I do it a lot, especially in "dry" periods.

Best I can see under magnification is an ā€œxā€ or a ā€œ+ā€...itā€™s very faint.

Tomorrow iā€™m making her go out again. An older guy I met at work told me about this old foundation in the woods that is ā€œfull ofā€ old bottles...he says itā€™s covered in moss and leaves and no one knows the bottles are there...said he would show me.....shall see

Edit: I am pretty sure itā€™s an ā€œIā€, just a funky one...there was one much like it in that link...thanks Glass

Last edited:
Pretty girl. Reminds me of my granddaughters, 8 and 13. Looks like she is a big help.

Back
Top Bottom