Recharging Batteries Voltage Training

atomicbrh

Elite Member
A question for detectorists using rechargeable batteries. Back in the 1990's the wife and I were racing R/C cars on indoor carpet tracks and outdoor asphalt ovals. We raced 1/10 and 1/12 scale electric cars. If memory is correct the battery packs were rated at 7.8 volts when new. During the week we had charging stations built that would continuously discharge and charge multiple battery packs 24 hours a day all during the week. Once the correct "memory" was trained into the battery we used it for the races. Voltage would be more than 12 volts at the start of the race.

Are you using this same procedure to induce longer run times into your metal detector batteries? If so, do you think it causes harm to the detector if the starting voltage is 2 to 3 volts higher than what the MD manufacturer recommends? Say for example the 9.6 volt batteries read 11.5 volts when you put them in the detector.

I recharge mine every Friday night no matter if they are very low or not. I have done this for over a year and they still last longer than I hunt all week. I will tell you that if you have a smart charger and you drain them completely, the charger may not see them to begin charging. Trust me, there's nothing like tearing your house apart looking for the antique radio shack charger to put a spark in them so the new charger will charge them. :shock:

NiMH and lithium ion/poly don't suffer from memory issues like the old NiCd did. And you don't have to wait till they are fully discharged to recharge them. Just use them and recharge them at your convenience.

NiMH and lithium ion/poly don't suffer from memory issues like the old NiCd did. And you don't have to wait till they are fully discharged to recharge them. Just use them and recharge them at your convenience.

That's my current methodology ^ except I don't let mine sit dead, always keep them charged..

<°)))>{

Back
Top Bottom