Need Help Identifying Gettysburg finds

Chris J

Elite Member
Hello gang. In April I had the chance to hunt my first Civil War site, and I was excited. The home is privately owned and the owner granted permission when we were talking about my hobby of relic hunting and my love of civil war history. My hope/desire was to find a bullet, which I did not sadly. I did however find a bunch of iron Items and some modern items as well. I am hoping someone can help identify these few things,

IMG_0140_zpsmvrdaonv.jpg

I believe this is from an artillery powder piercing tool. Your thoughts?
IMG_0127_zpsuqa5gs2w.jpg

Button:modern or CW era?
IMG_0126_zpsa2srd89o.jpg

Assorted finds
IMG_2604_zpswvi2mjpk.jpg

I am trying to add photos from Photobucket but it doesn't seem to show them in my post. Suggestions to get photos to appear? I copied the url from photobucket for the pictures but nothing is showing up in the post. :(

The original link to my blog is here: http://thebeautyandageekblog.blogspot.com/2015/08/help-identifying-civil-war-site-finds.html

I am hopeful to get back to Gettysburg perhaps this fall for another hunt. I have been researching the area and it looks like it would have been occupied more by Davis' North Carolina and Mississippi companies. It is exciting to research and hope to find more on the next visit.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Happy Hunting. :D

Chris

Last edited:
Item #1 is part of an old lantern where the wick would feed through. Sign up for photobucket. Pretty simple to upload pics, post to the site and organize albums. HH!

Thanks sevenonesix.

I tried photo bucket before and it seemed like the pictures were saved in low resolution.

I will look into it.

Thanks for the tip

+1 for the oil lantern parts. Look closely on the end of the knob (the part that you would use to turn up the flame) for a makers mark & date stamp. They usually had some sort of identifying markers on them.

The 2-hole button is most likey an underwear button, and could be CW era. Most of the iron pieces appear to be pulled nails, and you found a lot of them, which would suggest you're in an old structure of some sort. It could either be a home-site, ice house, out building, etc. I would hunt this area low and slow and dig anything that beeps.

Good luck. Look forward to seeing more!

Back
Top Bottom