tinkering with ground balance to increase depth??

ebone581

Elite Member
I read that, if you are to manualy change your ground balance reading to the negative 10-15 points you can increase your depth? It also stated this will mess with target id? Can anyone confirm the first part? And if it is true, and you are in low trash area and digging everything, doesnt it make sense to do so? Or would the falsing then be too much?

I have found that doing a auto gb and then backing it off 10 or so points does seem to increase depth... I guess my vid #'s seem to stay in the correct range even though I do lower the gb #...

I usually run 10-15 numbers below whatever the auto G.B. comes in at on my Fisher. It gives me a little more depth, but makes the vdi's jumpy. It's not a deterrent, as I'm adept at hunting through the chatter and bounce after over a year of training. The AT Pro is a good detector, and I think the trick will work for you once you get used to hunting with those settings...

GB off set

Do a search on Randy Hortons book understanding your Xterra it is for minelab detectors but it explains running the positive and negative GB settings and covers other things that will also apply to other detectors as well.

Does lowering your ground balance seem to make your detector noisier. On my Deus, after I ground balance, it's fairly quiet but then lowering the GB even 5 digits increases the chatter noise. GB in my area for the Deus might be 80 so then I lower it to 75.

Back
Top Bottom