I don't just talk...I do what I say!

DIGGER27

In Memory Of
Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and
I have several posts floating around here about digging it all and specifically digging zinc signals.
Some guys don't do this much, some don't do it at all.

Since I am always looking for gold I am usually a dig it all hunter, but I have been lucky enough to find a few great things at that zinc area that were not zinc pennies, like big gold class rings, so I am compelled to dig that signal, always.

I was just looking at the 2 coffee cans I keep my dug up coins in since I haven't run my clad through the tumbler in about a month, and I haven't run any pennies in a few months more than that.
It's time to run a few loads.

I poured my piles onto a couple of paper plates to get an idea of what I have and took a pic just to show you guys that I just don't talk the talk...I actually do walk the walk when it comes to digging this penny signal stuff.

I actually miscalculated on the amount of pennies I have dug in the last few months.
As you can see, quite a few.
I covered that plate and then some, and that pile is actually several inches high.

Do I regret digging even one of these?
Not on your life.

I just look at the gold I have, the civil war 3 ring bullet, a rare one of only 6 known in existence token, and all the other cool stuff I have found at zinc and I am fine with it.

HH

Attachments

• clad.jpg
    clad.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 844
I hear ya, and I'm with ya, my friend! Right now I have a 11 oz. coffee stuffed with pennies that need tumbling! I always go through them after cleaning and take out all the copper ones and those get counted right away, the zincs get put in zip-lock baggies (I have 1 quart size already full) for a trip to the free coin machine at my bank and the end of the year. Good luck with the second half of the year, and I hope your numbers keep growing. : )

Attachments

• 100_2040.JPG
    100_2040.JPG
    170.1 KB · Views: 821
Yes Digger, you are right. Many of the Indian cents I've found registered as a high zinc, and my very nice 3-ringer CW ball was also zinc. Now if I can only bring myself to dig foil signals!:grin:

A well known detectorist Dick Stout writes, '' The Secret to finding the most Treasure is Don't use discrimination' It's all up to the hunter. If you look at volume and your odds, it an add up, but you got to dig. :D

Today i notched out everything below 80, iron out max..i was testing a new place and wanted to find the clad and copper pennies....i found enough to say that it has not been hit for some time (quarters coming in at 1960's and 1970's, most of the pennies were copper and there were loads of dimes and i just did a 10 feet slice of a few acres of fields....this could get very nice.

$6.50 in clad in about 2 hours and with the majority of my stuff discrimed out the depth was reduced to 6" max and running the large coil, the 5x8 might even do better but slower.

Yes Digger, you are right. Many of the Indian cents I've found registered as a high zinc, and my very nice 3-ringer CW ball was also zinc. Now if I can only bring myself to dig foil signals!:grin:

I have only dug one IH, and yes it disc out at zinc on the Compadre.
On that Compadre if you want to find really tiny gold and chains of all kinds you had better be digging stuff that comes in down at the small iron levels.

Know what else comes in down there besides iron?

Foil and canslaw...and I mean really, really small stuff.
I have dug enough of that to cover a Thanksgiving day float, but again, no regrets.
The instant I find something good down there like a small gold ring or a tiny, thin silver or gold chain, it is all worth it.

Thank you for this post. I dig almost all my penny signals, and in just a short time of doing this, they are starting to pile up. Now here is a beginner question... I know gold and silver are valuable (or so i have been told ;)) But I never though of the copper vs zinc pennies. How much, or how many copper pennies does it take to start making it "worth a trip" to cash in for melt. I know that is a broad question, so I would expect broad answers. But, some sort of guideline would help. Tks

Right now, a copper penny is worth about 2.5 cents in copper, BUT...until they change the laws about melting them, it's against the law for scrap-metal places to take them. The gov. changed the law about melting silver coins in the early 70's, so there's always hope that since they stopped making copper pennies in '82, it won't be too much longer before they lift the ban on melting the suckers. : ) That's what all the copper penny hoarders are hoping for.

Well... I've been called alot worse than a copper penny hoarder before ;) Thanks for the help. I knew that copper was sitting at about.0222222, but just wondering what everyone does with their older pennies.

Great thread. And I learned my lesson on aluminum signals also.My old shoe token proved that, so I just use the V3I as a dig all machine now. Go figure.:laughing:

Dig it all dude ! Your finds will speak for themselves.

Ebone - I was wondering about the wheats also. I have 75 rolls of them - is anyone buying them ? Steve in so az

AZ Steve-No one around here that I know of. Mine are starting to pile up as well. I'd hate to just limp them in with my other pennies. Guess just hold o to them until something pops up???

I save all my copper pennies, had a great collection as a kid, but when I was in the Army, left them with my mom, and they got lost during one of her moves. Wish I had that 1909 vdb now...worth a few bucks.

This thread was fresh in in my head when I ventured out to the fairgrounds yesterday. I made up my mind to slow down and dig all solid signals. I hit two signals in a swing both vdi was the same I dug the first and it was a penny just as I thought. I then dug the second totally expecting another penny but to my surprise out pops a 1940 Mercury dime at 3". That is my first silver coin! I learn two valuable lessons here. Slow down and listen. I wonder now how many silver coins I may have passed up prior to this.

This is why I come to this sight, I learn something every time. I also dig everything, can't stand the thought of leaving something behind...............

So to update...today I took the pennies you see in the pic above to a Coinstar machine to cash them in.

After tumbling for the last few days I had to cull several dollars worth of rotten zincolns out of this pile that I knew the machine would spit out.

P1030113.jpg

Even after all these were taken out of the pile, I still had a little over 2500 pennies that went through.

That was over 2500 holes I dug, and over 2500 times I bent over to dig those holes.
I don't kneel...I just bend over at the waist, dig, recover and move on.

Then it dawned on me how hard I worked to get these buried items, and even though I did get about $25 out of it I really did it all for a chance to find something even better than a zincoln...something preferably golden.

Even looking at the numbers, still no regrets.

So to update...today I took the pennies you see in the pic above to a Coinstar machine to cash them in.

After tumbling for the last few days I had to cull several dollars worth of rotten zincolns out of this pile that I knew the machine would spit out.

View attachment 166996

Even after all these were taken out of the pile, I still had a little over 2500 pennies that went through.

That was over 2500 holes I dug, and over 2500 times I bent over to dig those holes.
I don't kneel...I just bend over at the waist, dig, recover and move on.

Then it dawned on me how hard I worked to get these buried items, and even though I did get about $25 out of it I really did it all for a chance to find something even better than a zincoln...something preferably golden.

Even looking at the numbers, still no regrets.
Paid for the batteries:coolman:

Great thread and posts.

Here for the last few weeks I have been learning the discrimination features of my new machine. WHOOP's I will go back now and check to see what I missed. THX

Hey Digger27 just for kicks would it be possible to see a pic of the rings you found?

You are inspiring me to dig more zinc!! Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom