An investigation into Minelab Explorer II

Schweddy

Elite Member
Hi all. I've long been curious about the mysterious staying power and allure of the explorer II despite minelab's advancement in tech with more explorers, the Etrac and the CTX 3030. I've read many threads and watched several videos, but in regard to finding(deep) silver coins, many seem to consider the ex2 as superior(or at least equal in different ways). From what I can gather, users of minelab usually agree that the separation and discrimination of the ex2 are behind the Trac and ctx. However those same users insist the tones scream out more and hit harder on first pass.
Please, this thread is not intended to rile up anyone. Nor deflate any machine of any brand. I'm a longtime and dedicated Etrac swinger. I simply love it. Also, I have every intention of one day purchasing the ctx and learning it thoroughly. The reason I'm starting this thread is that I've heard many good things about the ex2 and I currently have an opportunity to add it to my arsenal.

Is there anyone out there with experience on this machine who can provide some critical input.

Thanks everyone.

Hi all. I've long been curious about the mysterious staying power and allure of the explorer II despite minelab's advancement in tech with more explorers, the Etrac and the CTX 3030. I've read many threads and watched several videos, but in regard to finding(deep) silver coins, many seem to consider the ex2 as superior(or at least equal in different ways). From what I can gather, users of minelab usually agree that the separation and discrimination of the ex2 are behind the Trac and ctx. However those same users insist the tones scream out more and hit harder on first pass.
Please, this thread is not intended to rile up anyone. Nor deflate any machine of any brand. I'm a longtime and dedicated Etrac swinger. I simply love it. Also, I have every intention of one day purchasing the ctx and learning it thoroughly. The reason I'm starting this thread is that I've heard many good things about the ex2 and I currently have an opportunity to add it to my arsenal.

Is there anyone out there with experience on this machine who can provide some critical input.

Thanks everyone.

Ive tested one and its a great machine, has a bit more to it than the etrac, ive also owned a safari and the explorer is way better, but the safari in my opinion hits way harder on silver. FBS Machines in general are very good. You cant go wrong with a EX2

I doubt I'll help you any, but nobody else is biting!!:lol: I've heard a lot of the same that the tones on the explorer 2 are superior. I was all but ready to pull the trigger on one myself, but the main thing that stopped me was that Minelab doesn't service or stock parts for the 2 or XS. They seem like a reliable machine except for the buttons dying and the springs that act as the battery connector get weak and need to be stretched back out. There is a guy who makes and sells replacement screen and button assemblies for about $70 I think, but of course they're not a minelab part. If it's a real good price, I'd go for it still. Good luck and HH!

Lots of guys with Explorers out there including myself and another guy next to me,both EX2s. I also have a CTX,have found many good coins with both. I only have about 6 months on the EX2 and going on 5 months with the CTX,so I'm quite green with both machines. The EX2 has an allure for sure. I suppose the data is more "raw",and that's why it can see good targets in junk. Maybe it never gets to the point where it rejects a good target in junk due to overprocessing. My friend was swinging his a couple months ago(very new user) and he hit a wheat cent that was 5-6" down in a hole with 3-5 nails,I forget how many I handed him. That's some kind of machine. I have done the same,to varying degrees.
If you have the etrac you'll slide right into the EX2, it is in a class of its own,IMHO. That being said I've had success with the CTX as well. For the money,and if I only had so much to spend,I'd get the EX2. I don't have experience with the etrac,Safari,etc.
Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom