Propointer gold detection issues

undersc0re

I am very new to this hobby, so much so that I have not even left the house with it lol. I want to be ready when I do though....So I have some gold flakes and tiny very tiny nuggets. I try the at gold on them and all is well it picks them up...about a finger pinch full, and at about 1-2 inches away at best. I try the pro pointer on them and nothing what so ever! I thought for sure I would get something with all the pure gold....So to my question, if I use this pro pointer for a gold ring that is not pure will it find it....I assume it won't work on the pure gold. Thanks for the help! Is there a trick to get it to pick up gold better or is it just not meant for gold...?

I have never tried mine on pure gold but I know with gold rings it seems to detect it better from the side of the probe, for some reason unknown to me the tip will not pick it up too good.

I also have found that giving it a little motion (back and forth) over a small gold object will sometimes help the pro pointer find it.

Ok, thankyou for the tip, it will detect a pinch of pure gold flakes with the metal on the side of the pointer modification, and your right it will detect the pure gold on the side of it after the mod and just barely at the tip....If I ever go gold prospecting, I will use the mod! Will not detect the pure gold(pinch of it) at all without the mod though....thx!

Have no clue about nuggets, but these are all the gold rings I have dug in the last 28 months and the Propointer easily found them all from the top of the ground, zeroed right in after I opened a hole, and one of the smallest ones, (top right), was deep in the sand at the beach and even that was no problem.

Attachments

• GOLD RING NEW VDI2.jpg
    GOLD RING NEW VDI2.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 304
Pro pointers themselves wont go much past 4" or so for sensing an object from what I've found. Unless the object is very large. Very small things like "Split shot" lead sinkers that come in like a nickel take forever to pick up with the PP cause you gotta be right on top of them. You can increase the sensativity of the PP by holding it up in the air away from metal objects and pinch a quarter between it and your finger just at or below the power button. If you go to far down the PP will start to chirp and buzz. Back up just a tad with the Qtr until the chirping stops. Then put PP on the ground and it will work down to about 6-7" for me. Kind of a hassle but look up "Super tuning Pro Pointer" here on the forums. Guy has a special glove with a metal ring on it that he can just hold down there.

Dayyymmm digger. Nice collection of rings. All this year or???

I am very new to this hobby, so much so that I have not even left the house with it lol. I want to be ready when I do though....So I have some gold flakes and tiny very tiny nuggets. I try the at gold on them and all is well it picks them up...about a finger pinch full, and at about 1-2 inches away at best. I try the pro pointer on them and nothing what so ever! I thought for sure I would get something with all the pure gold....So to my question, if I use this pro pointer for a gold ring that is not pure will it find it....I assume it won't work on the pure gold. Thanks for the help! Is there a trick to get it to pick up gold better or is it just not meant for gold...?

The problem is that the flakes are just to small. The pro pointer is very sensitive but not THAT sensitive. Rings should bang in.

The TreasureMate Pinpointer is designed for gold prospectors and has a ground balance adjustment that is supposed to make it better on finding gold in crevaces and stuff. I have never used one for that but I just got one and it seems to pick up coins a little deeper than the propointer. I bought it as a backup but I am going to try it out during a hunt on Saturday to see how I like it.

Back
Top Bottom