Need help identifying metal "LUMP"

infiniteMPG

Was out wandering several locations in the area playing with my old Garret Groundhog and finding odds and ends like railroad spikes, hinge and chain parts, and stuff like this :

finds014.jpg

and then I stumbled across this "lump" :

lump1.jpg

lump2.jpg

lump3.jpg

Looks like some melted down metal ran down a wall and into the ground, pooled up and cooled making this odd lump. Around 9oz of a yellowish metal, non-ferrous (not magnetic), not as soft as gold but did a rough specific gravity and falls around the silver range, seems more dense than brass or bronze would be. So now my question, how can I find out what it really is without "sending it in to be analyzed"???

Any help???

Slag is more mineral than metal, this is most definitely solid metal. And also doubtful that the specific gravity of slag would measure in the neighborhood of silver.

I mean... you found a blob of melted metal by the railroad tracks. Not exactly all that surprising for there to be slag.

I mean... you found a blob of melted metal by the railroad tracks. Not exactly all that surprising for there to be slag.

No railroad tracks nearby, maybe a 100 years ago, but not anymore. And this was far from where I found the spikes. Not bronze or brass as far as we can tell, specific gravity too high for that.

Really don't care too much if this was a meteorite chunk that hit in a Seminole Indian fire pit and melted, was asking if anyone had a good way to determine the metal composition of this. Any help?

File some off and see what color it is.
Might be molybdenum ;)

My thoughts exactly, looks "glassy" like slag does, but it could just be the pictures...

And or...

Like Vlad mentioned, you could file it down some and report back as to the color you find inside..

Also smack it with a hammer, is it malleable (brass, copper, bronze) or does it shatter (slag)...

<*)))>{

My thoughts exactly, looks "glassy" like slag does, but it could just be the pictures... And or... Like Vlad mentioned, you could file it down some and report back as to the color you find inside.. Also smack it with a hammer, is it malleable (brass, copper, bronze) or does it shatter (slag)...<*)))>{

Okay, third time trying to post a reply. Smacked this HARd with a 1-lb hammer on my bench vice, didn't shatter, didn't hardly make a mark. Hit it with a file and had a sort of brass/bronze look to it :

lump4.jpg

But home specific gravity test doesn't jive with those... at least for a quick home test. How can I tell the difference between brass and bronze?

You might try electrolysis on it. But I am not sure how much that would help. Unfortunately we do find items we are never able to ID and yours just might be one of those. But heck, if we don't make an ID we will give you a free pass to post another item.:D

You might try electrolysis on it. But I am not sure how much that would help. Unfortunately we do find items we are never able to ID and yours just might be one of those. But heck, if we don't make an ID we will give you a free pass to post another item.:D

Since I can pretty much rule out gold was thinking would be cool to just take it to work and sand blast all the grime out of it, polish it up real shiny and put it on the shelf to display. Better than taking it to the recycling center and dumping it off for a couple buck$.

Contrary to some of the info you might read on Google, most bronzes are slightly magnetic where as most brass alloys are not... Also here is a link that might help some too...
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=155253
<*)))>{

GREAT GUIDE and the flow chart is saved on my 'puter. Definitely 100% non-magnetic, have some pretty industrial magnets I picked up from work and they stick to it about like they stick to a 2x4 :roll: With the value of brass around $2.03/lb, this "lump" is worth about $1.10. Woo Woo! I can buy 1/3 a gallon of gas!!!

Thanks for the help and have more things to post when I have time and looking forward to more informative help.

Returned to the hunting spot where I found the infamous "lump" and came away with "lump #2" and also a bullet that appears to be the same material :

LUMP-2.jpg

So now the question is, were they making solid brass projectile bullets? Maybe they were not real careful in their pouring process with the molds.

Hmmmm......

Looks like someone was doing some brazing and chipped off some of their sloppier work. Brazing/welding leftovers. That fits with the iron pieces being there.

Back
Top Bottom