Collar disk trophy case

HistoryStudent

This is my collar disk trophy case. The bulk of the disks were found by me this year. They span WW1 to VIETNAM and they were found at an old army base.

The silver coins around the edge are coins that were also found at the base. The Morgan coins are coins I won in raffles at my local club this year so I didn't dig those. :)
82911bb16a41523372876c6673aac6ea.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

That is fantastic. I love that you were able to find all those and the display is great.

This is my collar disk trophy case. The bulk of the disks were found by me this year. They span WW1 to VIETNAM and they were found at an old army base......[/IMG]

OK, how crazy is this? I just dug one of those US collar pins in my backyard 15 minutes ago, came inside to photograph and research it, and just saw your post from earlier today.

All I know about them is what I've learned in the past 15 minutes, which is that the style of the back of mine seems to date it WWII.

For the record, the AT Pro signal was a solid 80-81. It was at 4 inches deep with an additional 3 inches of pine needles on top.

Attachments

• US collar pin.jpg
    US collar pin.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 564
OK, how crazy is this? I just dug one of those US collar pins in my backyard 15 minutes ago, came inside to photograph and research it, and just saw your post from earlier today.

All I know about them is what I've learned in the past 15 minutes, which is that the style of the back of mine seems to date it WWII.

For the record, the AT Pro signal was a solid 80-81. It was at 4 inches deep with an additional 3 inches of pine needles on top.
That's a nice disk. It's an early ww2 disk

This is my collar disk trophy case. The bulk of the disks were found by me this year. They span WW1 to VIETNAM and they were found at an old army base.

The silver coins around the edge are coins that were also found at the base. The Morgan coins are coins I won in raffles at my local club this year so I didn't dig those. :)
82911bb16a41523372876c6673aac6ea.jpg

Very nice collection! Have you found any theater made disks or are they all US made?

For anyone interested here is a very good thread on another forum about collar disks.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/185866-history-of-the-collar-disk/

Here are a couple of interesting disks. The US disk looks like a Type VI except that it's quite thin. The police disk is very interesting to me because it's heavy and thick, it has the Type IV pins soldiered directly to the disk BUT it has the screw in pistols. Also, as you can see in the close up photo, it looks like it has either Chinese or Japanese characters stamped onto it.

I welcome your thoughts and opinions on these.

a55b88cb1501dbe7d39f60405747a01e.jpg
b30f706932257bb249266be0d6d4c7e9.jpg
a69097fc249179b62c34d29eb93bdae2.jpg
8e443e1d332ee2caa7f58930af8ac46c.jpg
32bf9213b558bf5574beaeac4ed08b49.jpg

Wow, those collar discs are awesome.

Question for you History Student. Was this an abandoned base? If not how did you get permission?

The reason I ask is that a good friend of mine is the C.O. (Full Bird Colonel) of a well known and historic army base and I asked him for permission to hunt the base. He said he had to check up the line of command and was given a very clear no.

The reason being it's federal land, etc, regulations, blah, blah, blah.

So what's the story?

that's a great little tribute to the vets, actually a big one based on the size. I have three ROTC collar tabs from the WW2 era I think local high school all boys at the time that it was mandatory to be Army ROTC. I consider them treasure based on the vets I worked with who went there and served.

good thing there! keep hunting!

Wow, those collar discs are awesome.

Question for you History Student. Was this an abandoned base? If not how did you get permission?

The reason I ask is that a good friend of mine is the C.O. (Full Bird Colonel) of a well known and historic army base and I asked him for permission to hunt the base. He said he had to check up the line of command and was given a very clear no.

The reason being it's federal land, etc, regulations, blah, blah, blah.

So what's the story?
It's an inactive base now and most of the buildings have been torn down. Fortunately, I have old maps of where the buildings used to be including the barracks. It's a forested park now, mostly overgrown with a few trails scattered around for walking. It's perfect if you like hunting in the woods.

That display is just awesome! What is the disc to the he left of the signal corps at bottom left of the pic? Never seen that one before

Back
Top Bottom