First finds

StClair72

My first find with my AT Max was a little nail about a half an inch long at around 14" deep. My second find was a full miller lite can around 12" deep. My third find was a piece of barbed wire rolled up tightly in a ball the size of a softball. This all happened tonight in the snow and mud. I couldn't wait any longer to get out and try out the new machine. Everything was deep and rang up in the 80s and 90s. The miller light can rang in at 97?? This is my first detector so I'm still learning but I expected the junk to be at a lower number.:?:

My first find with my AT Max was a little nail about a half an inch long at around 14" deep. My second find was a full miller lite can around 12" deep. My third find was a piece of barbed wire rolled up tightly in a ball the size of a softball. This all happened tonight in the snow and mud. I couldn't wait any longer to get out and try out the new machine. Everything was deep and rang up in the 80s and 90s. The miller light can rang in at 97?? This is my first detector so I'm still learning but I expected the junk to be at a lower number.:?:

Was the beer still good???????

It takes time to learn what your detector is telling you. When I started I could not understand a thing my machine was telling me. I was ready to wrap it around a tree as I thought that I had wasted a lot of money. But I kept digging trash until I stated to understand a little bit of what the machine was saying the treasure started out numbering the trash. Keep with it and you will learn to appreciate and understand your machine.

A good report 👍
Interesting targets and yes metal detectors find all that good stuff.

Being from Wisconsin and understanding the winter conditions you are working with I would suggest that digging all signals might get frustrating and with a new machine learning to be selective is tricky.

Here is a few tips to think about for now .

Generally a good solid high tone should be repeated from more than one direction as you walk around the target and it shouldn't move .
Taking note of size of targets using your pinpoint button is handy .
Also wile pinpointing a target should not be far off from where you think it is wile you swing over it . Often if your coil gets dragged away from the original spot you think the target is located wile swinging it is likely trouble.
Targets that seem small and solid but after raising your coil off the ground 10 inches and it's still there can likely be large deep targets like cans .

Targets like coins are small . As you raise your coil off the ground they likely disappear and other good high conductors like brass and copper and things should give you pretty solid unwavering numbers . Trashy items can give you a high tone but often the numbers are not consistent and jump around .

Guess it depends on your location and expectations of a site . All targets are clues of activity. Puzzle pieces when it comes to the history of an area.

Do not be afraid to lay that new rig on the table and run randome things under the coil at home on these cold winter days. Play with your settings and observe.

Oh and I love watching The Hoover boys episodes on YouTube. They are very entertaining and they run the same gear as you do. I highly recommend you check them out. 👍 It will be worth your time.
Short cold hunts are better than no hunts .
Keep us posted.
Dew

A good report 👍
Interesting targets and yes metal detectors find all that good stuff.

Being from Wisconsin and understanding the winter conditions you are working with I would suggest that digging all signals might get frustrating and with a new machine learning to be selective is tricky.

Here is a few tips to think about for now .

Generally a good solid high tone should be repeated from more than one direction as you walk around the target and it shouldn't move .
Taking note of size of targets using your pinpoint button is handy .
Also wile pinpointing a target should not be far off from where you think it is wile you swing over it . Often if your coil gets dragged away from the original spot you think the target is located wile swinging it is likely trouble.
Targets that seem small and solid but after raising your coil off the ground 10 inches and it's still there can likely be large deep targets like cans .

Targets like coins are small . As you raise your coil off the ground they likely disappear and other good high conductors like brass and copper and things should give you pretty solid unwavering numbers . Trashy items can give you a high tone but often the numbers are not consistent and jump around .

Guess it depends on your location and expectations of a site . All targets are clues of activity. Puzzle pieces when it comes to the history of an area.

Do not be afraid to lay that new rig on the table and run randome things under the coil at home on these cold winter days. Play with your settings and observe.

Oh and I love watching The Hoover boys episodes on YouTube. They are very entertaining and they run the same gear as you do. I highly recommend you check them out. 👍 It will be worth your time.
Short cold hunts are better than no hunts .
Keep us posted.
Dew
A lot of wisdom here. take note and take the time to hear what your machine is telling. Good luck on future outings. Trapper

Back
Top Bottom