Any southern farmers, winter wheat question(s)

Gauntlet

Forum Supporter
Some of the fields I have permission(s) for were put in winter wheat last year. First time I'd seen it here, so unfamiliar with the process, and some questions I'd like to see if I can find an answer to.

I did look on the www, and in a nutshell I'd read:

Planted anywhere from end of September to November.

Harvested early the following fall, and went on to read in Mississippi it's generally harvested from end of May to 1st week in July.

Questions:

(I understand there are always variables)

1- Does the above sound "close" regarding timeframe?

2- Once cut, then what? Do they get a 2nd harvest (if that's even possible)?

3-If no 2nd cut, do they till, let the field set until the fall if they're replanting wheat?

I'm just trying to figure out if, and when I can get into these fields. Farmers are busy so I'm not going to stop them to ask (lol, good way to lose permission).

Toss me any input you have, as the wheat is starting to lose it's "green".

wheat harvest.

You are correct with your time frame. Winter wheat here in Tennessee is just now turning gold. It will be harvested by the end of June. Soy beans will be planted almost immediately and are generally drilled in which is a no-till process.. They drill directly into the stubble. A few farmers burn the stubble and then plant. Soy beans will be harvested late in the fall. Winter wheat is not usually planted after beans because of the late harvest. In this area corn is planted the following year and wheat after. Then the cycle begins again. I'm only dropping local knowledge. Hope it helps. P.S. I'm waiting on 7 old home sites that are currently under wheat.

You are correct with your time frame. Winter wheat here in Tennessee is just now turning gold. It will be harvested by the end of June. Soy beans will be planted almost immediately and are generally drilled in which is a no-till process.. They drill directly into the stubble. A few farmers burn the stubble and then plant. Soy beans will be harvested late in the fall. Winter wheat is not usually planted after beans because of the late harvest. In this area corn is planted the following year and wheat after. Then the cycle begins again. I'm only dropping local knowledge. Hope it helps. P.S. I'm waiting on 7 old home sites that are currently under wheat.

Thanks, and certainly does help. Sounds like it may not be working in my favor though. Thankfully not a huge amount of them (permissions) were put in wheat, so maybe I can get lucky and sneak a couple days in.

Hope yours turn out to be productive as well, and thanks again!

The stubble is really high though. It will be really hard to swing the coil.

I'm used to working between the rows :lol:

Screenshot-2022-05-21-213857.jpg

Back
Top Bottom