How often do you get conditions with permissions? The good , the bad and the ugly.

MetalMike65

This could be a fun thread... Like the land owner will say "I get half of whatever you find. Or even something that had you respond with "Thanks anyway" Tell me some interesting conditions you've encountered. The good , the bad and the ugly. 😆

Even when property owners have said something like : "I get half" or "I get everything you find", I have found that this never comes to actual fruition.

So for example, I'll bring all the coins and objects, found in a yard, and spread them out on a table on their porch. In order to show them the results. And never have I had anyone actually sweep it all into their pockets.

What I always do, in cases of supposed splits, is I'll already know what I want ahead of time. Eg.: a valuable token, or one of the silvers that I recognize is a better date/mint, etc.... Then, after chit-chat, I'll pull that single one aside, and say : "I don't have this particular one in my collection, Can this one be mine ?" And have never had anyone say "no". In fact, they'll typically just chuckle (at the rest of the pile) and say : "Take it all".

The only time someone has made a condition, they were joking.

Any conditions I've been subject to are ones I've put into place, such as only hunting a certain area or showing them everything I find before I leave.

the only time someone has made a condition, they were joking.

Any conditions i've been subject to are ones i've put into place, such as only hunting a certain area or showing them everything i find before i leave.

^^ +2

I always say, "I'll let you know if I find anything interesting" I only talk to them again if they take the time to come out and talk to me again. I have no problem letting them keep whatever they want. Most times, I leave assuming they wouldn't find some old dirty coins interesting.

Like others have said, a lot of them just joke by saying, "If you find any gold bars, let me know!"

Even when property owners have said something like : "I get half" or "I get everything you find", I have found that this never comes to actual fruition.

So for example, I'll bring all the coins and objects, found in a yard, and spread them out on a table on their porch. In order to show them the results. And never have I had anyone actually sweep it all into their pockets.

What I always do, in cases of supposed splits, is I'll already know what I want ahead of time. Eg.: a valuable token, or one of the silvers that I recognize is a better date/mint, etc.... Then, after chit-chat, I'll pull that single one aside, and say : "I don't have this particular one in my collection, Can this one be mine ?" And have never had anyone say "no". In fact, they'll typically just chuckle (at the rest of the pile) and say : "Take it all".

don't forget the finds in your shoes! tom! ehe! he heh!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

If a property owner says I get half of what your find, I politely reply, You can't split a coin or token and I don't sell anything I find so respectfully I'll have to decline and I thank you for your time. It cracks me up people who never thought about it or give a hoot what might have been lost in their yard all of a sudden think, Oak Island, buried treasure and you can see the greed well up in their eyes. OK you spend the time and money to see what might or might not be in your yard. I have learned when to bow out and go elsewhere. Mark

If a property owner says I get half of what your find, I politely reply, You can't split a coin or token and I don't sell anything I find so respectfully I'll have to decline and I thank you for your time.....

Mark, why would you do that ? Read my #2 reply on this thread.

I'll bet you dollars to donuts that they don't take your finds.

I’ve hunted dozens and rarely received a no when I door knock. I’ve also never had an owner ask for or want to spilt finds, because I go in with a lack of enthusiasm. Low-key, I’m here to hunt for ‘wheat pennies.’ One time I remember the owner, an elderly guy, followed me around the yard in his electric wheelchair. The guy inspected every coin that I dug and stuck it in his front pocket. Not a big deal until I started popping a few Indian cents. At the end of the hunt he surprised me and handed over all the coins, and I thanked him for the privilege of poking around the yard.

.... At the end of the hunt he surprised me and handed over all the coins, and I thanked him for the privilege of poking around the yard.

Fun story.

And I would add that, even on the remote times/chance that someone could actually "take everything", there's a few things we have to remember :

1) This is, after all, their property. Thus technically, items belong to them.

2) Even if someone ever truly kept 100%, I would still enjoy it for hunt-sake anyhow. Heck, you can get pix of any notable finds. And thus still have boasting rights among your buddies. What's wrong with that ? Did any of us get into md'ing to make a living with ? :?:

3) There were actually a few times where I had to "turn over everything I find" (and was truly followed through with) : Those were a few times where I had permission, via my museum docent contacts, to hunt sensitive off-limits historic monument type places. Or when assisting an archie during their digs, etc... But, heck, that's to be expected. Eh ?

I've got a few friends of friends that want me to detect their property, but they want to keep everything I find. I try to explain that there's no point in my doing that, since I get nothing out of the deal and they get my free time and labor. They'll always reply with, 'Well, it is my property, so anything you find should be mine." I'll counter with, "You're right, go buy a $500 metal detector and see what you find." Have a nice day!

..... since I get nothing out of the deal .....

" Nothing " ? I assume that you enjoy md'ing, right ?

I know of sports fishermen who "catch and release ", just because they love the sport and competition of fishing.

I know of hunters who do not necessarily eat their prey.

I know of tennis enthusiasts who get zero financial benefit, but simply enjoy the boasting privilege of winning a game, being with friends, etc....

:laughing:

I don't remember having anyone ask for half, and just one time someone simply asked to see what I found afterwards, I think just out of curiosity rather than wanting to take any of it. Even when I told him what I found he didn't seem particularly interested in having to see it. (but even if it turned out they wanted it that would not be a big deal, and I would part friendly with no hard feelings)

I've got a few friends of friends that want me to detect their property, but they want to keep everything I find. I try to explain that there's no point in my doing that, since I get nothing out of the deal and they get my free time and labor. They'll always reply with, 'Well, it is my property, so anything you find should be mine." I'll counter with, "You're right, go buy a $500 metal detector and see what you find." Have a nice day!

I have a farm permission, with a small unrelated house in the middle of it...I had chatted to the owner a few times while I have been detecting near his boundary and he invited me to try in his garden as there was an old well there that went back a few hundred years.

When I took him up on the request, he followed me around the garden and virtually snatched anything I found out of my hands...Most of the finds were just Victorian copper coins, but I'd find two very nice harness mounts...I asked him if I could get them dated and report them to the local museum, but he evidently didn't trust me enough to allow that even.

The finds sort of dried up at that point (😉 ) and although he asked me back a couple of times over the next few months, I eventually suggested he should buy a detector and have a search himself...

" Nothing " ? I assume that you enjoy md'ing, right ?

Yes, but I don't enjoy being taken advantage of by someone. I'll gladly metal detect anyone's property for $20 an hour and they can keep everything I find. But my time is just as valuable as their time, so I'm not working for free, even if I enjoy it.

Yes, but I don't enjoy being taken advantage of by someone. I'll gladly metal detect anyone's property for $20 an hour and they can keep everything I find. But my time is just as valuable as their time, so I'm not working for free, even if I enjoy it.

But your name is FreeBirdTim. 😆 🤣 😂

Fun story.

And I would add that, even on the remote times/chance that someone could actually "take everything", there's a few things we have to remember :

1) This is, after all, their property. Thus technically, items belong to them.

2) Even if someone ever truly kept 100%, I would still enjoy it for hunt-sake anyhow. Heck, you can get pix of any notable finds. And thus still have boasting rights among your buddies. What's wrong with that ? Did any of us get into md'ing to make a living with ? :?:

3) There were actually a few times where I had to "turn over everything I find" (and was truly followed through with) : Those were a few times where I had permission, via my museum docent contacts, to hunt sensitive off-limits historic monument type places. Or when assisting an archie during their digs, etc... But, heck, that's to be expected. Eh ?

sorry tom! not buyin' it! you hunt for nothin? don't think so! on to da next!

(h.h!)
j.t.

right! screw that! .

(h.h.!)
j.t.

I have a farm permission, with a small unrelated house in the middle of it...I had chatted to the owner a few times while I have been detecting near his boundary and he invited me to try in his garden as there was an old well there that went back a few hundred years.

When I took him up on the request, he followed me around the garden and virtually snatched anything I found out of my hands...Most of the finds were just Victorian copper coins, but I'd find two very nice harness mounts...I asked him if I could get them dated and report them to the local museum, but he evidently didn't trust me enough to allow that even.

The finds sort of dried up at that point (😉 ) and although he asked me back a couple of times over the next few months, I eventually suggested he should buy a detector and have a search himself...

good for you! "smart play!!..it IS his property, but what a "miserable" s.o.b.

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Back
Top Bottom