New Idea has anyone tried?

TheBandit

Golf courses. Old courses either active or shut down. Has anyone tried? There is a old course I would love to hunt. I know it would be a night hunt. I would like to hear from you if you have ever tried.

I would think tee box areas would be a good spot. I also think the irrigation system might be a problem. Idk let me know

Detecting a functioning golf course during the night might be considered trespassing, would hate to see you get in trouble... but yes, golf courses have proved to be excellent hunting grounds. They sometimes put coins down to mark the ball location, and forget they are there. Some of the golf courses in my area are on the 1938 aerials too, so they definitely have some age. I have not hunted one before, but have seen quite a few posts on here of people securing permission to hunt them, and finding lots of good stuff!

Half a golf course

There is a golf course in my area that scaled down from 18 to 9 holes and I have permission the hunt the back nine. There was and old home site next to the road. I have pulled lots of relics from that place. I have hunted cart paths and tee boxes and concession/ restrooms and found lots of clad and tons of pull tabs and bottle caps. I will go back and search more. You would think some of the boozed up golfers and spectators would have dropped something good.

Where I grew up had a municipal golf course. And prior to being a golf course, it had been a polo grounds that dated back to the 1920s.

Seeing as how it's a municipal course, I don't think that would qualify as "trespassing" would it ? :?: :roll: We got silver & wheaties out of the course.

But since it's highly manicured turf, we had to be careful not to be an eye-sore. And picked lower traffic times to hunt it.

Digging on a golf course no matter how good you are has great potential to result in jail. With the cost of building and maintaining the more expensive courses, enough monetary damages could be calculated by a zealous prosecutor for felony charges. The goal is to catch a course that is being totally refurbished when it can be detected to the maximum. In the past a drunk just driving across a golf course by mistake has resulted in felony charges.

Digging on a golf course no matter how good you are has great potential to result in jail. With the cost of building and maintaining the more expensive courses, enough monetary damages could be calculated by a zealous prosecutor for felony charges. The goal is to catch a course that is being totally refurbished when it can be detected to the maximum. In the past a drunk just driving across a golf course by mistake has resulted in felony charges.

I agree. Stupid move to detect an operating golf course. It will do nothing but get you in trouble and give detectorists a bad name.

Steve

Digging on a golf course no matter how good you are has great potential to result in jail....

A "great potential" for "jail". Right ? Do you know of any md'r who has ever gone to jail for md'ing on a golf course ?

After all, if there's "great potential", then certainly : There must be some examples of this "imminent result" that we can find . Eh ? :?: Got a link ? :?:

A "great potential" for "jail". Right ? Do you know of any md'r who has ever gone to jail for md'ing on a golf course ?

After all, if there's "great potential", then certainly : There must be some examples of this "imminent result" that we can find . Eh ? :?: Got a link ? :?:

No Tom, but I know somebody who drove on a golf course by accident and it was a felony due to just tire tracks.

Tom, I say you go for it and record yourself and put it out on youtube.
Then we will have the link to prove it. :detector:

Last edited:

I've hunted multiple golf courses . Obviously at low traffic times, not when they're open or people are golfing. And ........ I'm afraid my youtube videos would be boring : I didn't "go to jail". :wow:

Seeing as how the "potential was great" and jail was imminent, then ........ what a strange outcome, eh ? :wow: And strange that no one's got an example of this imminent risk outcome either. HHhhhmmm

Not saying to "throw caution to the wind". But just pointing out that whenever we hear of "jail" for md'ing, no one can ever come up with an example. Outside of someone night-sneaking an obvious off-limits historic monument. Or someone being obnoxious that can't take a warning, etc....

I've hunted multiple golf courses . Obviously at low traffic times, not when they're open or people are golfing. And ........ I'm afraid my youtube videos would be boring : I didn't "go to jail". :wow:

Seeing as how the "potential was great" and jail was imminent, then ........ what a strange outcome, eh ? :wow: And strange that no one's got an example of this imminent risk outcome either. HHhhhmmm

Not saying to "throw caution to the wind". But just pointing out that whenever we hear of "jail" for md'ing, no one can ever come up with an example. Outside of someone night-sneaking an obvious off-limits historic monument. Or someone being obnoxious that can't take a warning, etc....
You are misquoting me. I am only familiar with a person just leaving simple tire tracks on a golf course. They were not digging holes for MD.
Sure, you might have detected an old, no longer used golf course but I do not believe you detected an active golf course even at 2 A.M. You have no proof of it. Maybe some outlying overflow parking area or drainage ditch but not the greens, fairways, mowed rough, tees or even the sand traps. The closest golf course to us at different times has been patrolled at night by a groundskeeper with a rifle "ala" the movie caddyshack. That employee went to High School with our youngest child. Groundskeepers shooting varmints on golf courses at night was not just a fictious movie plot. Another reason to be careful on golf courses at night.

.... I do not believe you detected an active golf course...

Actually, yes. 4 that I can think of, off the top of my head.

Example : The course near my house is very friendly (ie.: lax) with the neighborhood. So people take walks, ride their bikes on the paths for exercise, walk their dogs, etc..... As long as it's a slow day, and no golfers, I've detected it. Got a few silver and wheaties there. Nothing exciting. And .... no ... no jail.

The closest golf course to us at different times has been patrolled at night by a groundskeeper with a rifle "ala" the movie caddyshack.

I once rode literal "shotgun" in a golf cart on a country club course. Beautiful place, in a river gorge. Natural habitat for rock chucks (ground hogs for you folks back east). The course was having a real problem with the 'chucks tearing things up.

A friend, who has a family member that is a member of the country club, got asked to help out with the rock chuck problem and he asked me to help.

The course closed down for 4 hours on a Sunday morning just for us to do our business. They supplied us with a cart and all the shotgun ammo we could use. Drove around the course all morning blasting rock chucks with shotguns.

- Dave

Are you claiming no one has been arrested for trespass on a golf course?

I doubt you could find a link of someone getting arrested for trimming their toenails on a course.

Doesn't make trespass any less illegal.

I once rode literal "shotgun" in a golf cart on a country club course. Beautiful place, in a river gorge. Natural habitat for rock chucks (ground hogs for you folks back east). The course was having a real problem with the 'chucks tearing things up.

A friend, who has a family member that is a member of the country club, got asked to help out with the rock chuck problem and he asked me to help.

The course closed down for 4 hours on a Sunday morning just for us to do our business. They supplied us with a cart and all the shotgun ammo we could use. Drove around the course all morning blasting rock chucks with shotguns.

- Dave

In the instance I described whitetail deer were literally eating up the local golf course. It was seriously cutting into the course's budget. The "varmints" were eaten.

Are you claiming no one has been arrested for trespass on a golf course? .....

Nice try. Read my original post challenge again. It's asking for examples of someone getting "jail" for "md'ing" on a golf course. Not "trespassing" on a golf course.

ok ? Want to try again ? After all, if there's "great potential" for this, then it shouldn't be hard for someone to come up with a link to an md'r getting jail for this. Lest how else would we know of this "great potential" ?

Nice try. Read my original post challenge again. It's asking for examples of someone getting "jail" for "md'ing" on a golf course. Not "trespassing" on a golf course.

ok ? Want to try again ? After all, if there's "great potential" for this, then it shouldn't be hard for someone to come up with a link to an md'r getting jail for this. Lest how else would we know of this "great potential" ?

:laughing:

Some of your posts remind me of a pizza cutter, all edge, no point.

Here's a challenge for you.

Put your detector in a backpack, fly down to Mar-a-Largo, and go running onto the golf course.

Post live video.

I mean, according to you, what could possibly go wrong?

No Tom, but I know somebody who drove on a golf course by accident and it was a felony due to just tire tracks.

A felony for a accident? No way. Please give the date of that incident. I guarantee it wasn't a accident. Who drives on a golf course by accident? The course I was referring to is presently closed. The only thing holding me back right now is the DNR as it is in a state park. Now before you go off on that state parks can be detected when authorized. As far as giving metal detectorists a bad name there are so many things that will do this. But communicating and thinking outside the box has always paid off for me in the past.

Back
Top Bottom