Curb Strips - what’s the process?

... check for yourself......

Sure. And guess how you "check for yourself" ? You look up law/rules for yourself (if you are skittish). To see if there's anything there that says "No md'ing". If no such rule exists, then presto : Not prohibited.

That constitutes "checking for yourself".

Here's my "rule of thumb:"

If the curb strip is in front of someone's home, you ask the homeowner to hunt it, even though it might be public land.

If the curb strip is in front of public land, then hunt away and don't ask anyone for permission b/c you can assume it's public land.

This is an excellent "rule of thumb", you might say the golden rule. If someone started hunting the nicely manicured strip in front of my house without asking first, I would chase them off quick. If they asked for permission, they'd need to prove to me that they know how to dig a hole. It's just common courtesy. But I guess common courtesy isn't so common where some of you folks come from. I've never had a problem asking for permissions, and I've never run into any Karen's. Maybe it's my common courtesy. If it's an obviously non-maintained curb strip in front of a vacant house, go for it, but if it's in front of a well maintained house, think about how you'd feel if it was your home.

There is an abandoned older home a couple blocks from me. Grass in yard and corner curbstrips is nearly knee high. I am tempted to ride over on my little John Deere and mow the strips and then detect them. Doubt any one would care, they would probably appreciate the cleanup.

Last year there was a small sidewalk tearout across the street and i found a silver dime and wheatie.

There is an abandoned older home a couple blocks from me. Grass in yard and corner curbstrips is nearly knee high. I am tempted to ride over on my little John Deere and mow the strips and then detect them. Doubt any one would care, they would probably appreciate the cleanup.

Last year there was a small sidewalk tearout across the street and i found a silver dime and wheatie.

Go ahead, as long as you dont trespass on private property, no problem. :thumbsup:

thanks for the insight. I live in NY, and it's a state notorious for high taxes, corrupt politicians, and most restrictions you can think of, and many that you can't, which are generally characterized as ways to make your life better...maybe it's a good idea not to ask...

I live in downtown Sacramento, the absolute zenith of beaurocratic grandstanding, Karens, and virtue-signalling.

I've had decent success hunting curb strips. My process was as follows:

Step 1.Find curb strip
Step 2. Turn on machine
Step 3. Ground balance if that's your thing
Step 4. Get rich finding treasure

Well i went over to the old house around the block with my weedwhacker and Simplex and swung them both.

The curb strip grass was knee high in spots. After i flattened it i used the Simplex. Got several signals around 70. Not a great number but it could be clad.

Well here are my findings. Cans and foil. very disappointing.

i will go back later with the 6" coil on the Equinox 600 and see if it picks up anything better.

Attachments

• old.house.jpg
    old.house.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 147
Said it before, and will say it again....asking permission on the internet from people with no skin in the game (not local to you and familiar with YOUR specific laws/codes, not the ones facing the results of telling you "sure it's fine" when it's not), check for yourself.

Regardless, something which would benefit those who do, is to be sure you're accurate at pinpointing as well as target recovery. I generally watch MDing (actually detecting, not the lab coat drivel) over morning coffee, and am consistently amazed at how poorly some of those on YT are at both.

I understand "it's just dirt and grass", but leaving a mess just gives the haters something to complain about. I'd have to imaging some of the permissions I'd watched (again YT videos) would have a hard time granting permissions to another MD'er after seeing the mess their yards were left in.

Practice pinpointing in your own yard before ever going out onto private or public property. Use a drop cloth to catch all thee lose dirt until you can dig a proper plug. I've watched some fling dirt across the yard when their digger popped out, and seen it spread into av2sq ft area that looks like a grenade went off. They have to leave dead spots everywhere they'd dug.

Just as an example, watched this this AM, and reason for posting is he was hunting curb strips. This looks like a prime example of how detecting gets banned in areas. This looked to be in a fairly affluent area (nice homes), and let a dozen of them (taxpayers) get together and complain to the City, and guess what happens.

Nearly a foot long "trench"

sloppy.jpg

Not even close

sloppy2.jpg

Do as you like, just don't complain when it's banned in your area, or you keep getting turned-down when asking for permissions to private land. Leaving an undetectable recovery spot is one of the best ways to show someone you're not a slob who has no respect for the property of others.

ETA: Something else I'd noticed was many times they'd flop a messy pile out on the ground, only to check with their pinpointer and find the target was just under the surface after digging a 6" deep hole. Check 1st (if you can't determine with your detector it's deeper) before digging.

this is what happens when ya don't "think beyond your nose!"

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Although I’ve kinda leaned the other way in the past to some extent, this post here is a very good description of how to do it. Any doubts, just ask the person at the house if they mind….otherwise, it’s beginning to seem like a pretty good alternative to hunting blank places. I think I might just take this advice with me tomorrow and check some potential strips!:yes:

"smart play! been doin' it for a while, and I never get bothered.find some good stuff occasionally too!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

A couple other things that I do is, I dont hunt or dig on nicely manicured strips or strips that look like the home owner is keeping up wether the strip is obscured or not.
I also do research by using online map programs and real estate websites to find the age of houses, make a list of the oldest ones and if the strip looks doable i hunt those. In my area there are a huge amount of old houses that the curb strips are just dirt and the home owners obviously dont care to keep up, so I figure that they wouldnt care anyway, just like this last weekends hunt.

A couple other things that I do is, I dont hunt or dig on nicely manicured strips or strips that look like the home owner is keeping up wether the strip is obscured or not.
I also do research by using online map programs and real estate websites to find the age of houses, make a list of the oldest ones and if the strip looks doable i hunt those. In my area there are a huge amount of old houses that the curb strips are just dirt and the home owners obviously dont care to keep up, so I figure that they wouldnt care anyway, just like this last weekends hunt.

live in the northeast, and plenty of old areas just by driving short distances. usually the strips are not taken care of,and open for business! ..just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

live in the northeast, and plenty of old areas just by driving short distances.....

Oh you poor soul. You live on the east coast and have "plenty of old areas" within a stone's throw . But here in CA, we have entire cities where the *only* homes that pre-date 1900, might be a little 4 block square in the center of town. And vast portions of town that are post WWII.

And to make matters worse: Quite often those "oldest areas" of our west coast cities are the blighted/bad areas :(

Contrast to back east, where there's still entire portions of towns, that might date to 1800s, yet are STILL the high-society affluent areas. Sick sick sick

Oh you poor soul. You live on the east coast and have "plenty of old areas" within a stone's throw . But here in CA, we have entire cities where the *only* homes that pre-date 1900, might be a little 4 block square in the center of town. And vast portions of town that are post WWII.
And to make matters worse: Quite often those "oldest areas" of our west coast cities are the blighted/bad areas :(

Contrast to back east, where there's still entire portions of towns, that might date to 1800s, yet are STILL the high-society affluent areas. Sick sick sick

You mean 1700's :p

Steve

Ive been to several of those LOL , About a month ago I found some prime

curb strips in a very bad LA neighborhood, I got up early Sunday morning and

figured I would hit some strips and leave early. There was nowhere to park,

drugged out people acting wild on the sidewalks and, some very unsavory

people just standing around on the corners at 7am, so I drove aound a bit, then headed home. :(

Last edited:

well tom! go "salt" those few areas ya talking about so you can keep huntin'.
ya always have those "wet" and "nasty" curb strips, just be sure to wear ya boots! ..just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Back
Top Bottom