Recent XP ORX Purchase

jimz49

After an on/off love affair with metal detecting, I decided this year would be the year I'd get out more and hopefully find the enthusiasm I once had. I found a pretty good deal on an ORX and have been out with it a couple time.
My first hunt was on an open pasture field. Using the 11" coil seemed perfect for the area and I really enjoyed the time detecting. Although, I'm learning the machine language, I didn't feel overwhelmed.
My second hunt was in the yard of an old house that dates well back into the 1800's. Big difference from the open pasture. The yard was polluted with iron and bits of other nonferrous targets. It seemed every swing of the coil was like machine gun fire. I was at a loss!!
My conclusion is I think I need another coil that will be more suited for those kind of sites. I've looked at XP's smaller coils both X35 and HF. I like the idea of the 9.5" elliptical, but I'm not sure it's a good coin hunting coil, or the best overall choice for my type hunting (coin hunting).
So before I invest, I would like to hear what you have to say.

I have both X35 coils and the elliptical HF coil.

I do not own the 9" HF coil, but that coil seems to be the most popular coil and a lot of people swear by it.

I think the 9" X35 coil is a bit deeper than the elliptical coil. The elliptical is a bit easier to get into tight spaces. Both are exceptional coils in my mind. I prefer both to the 11" coil. Outside of the available frequencies (differences between those two coils) I think the biggest difference is depth vs ease of use in tighter spaces.

I think the 9” X35 coil would be great for coins . I have the 9” HF on my ORX , the X35lets you go to a lower frequency 8khz. The HF only goes down to 13 KHz.

In my opinion the best all around coil for the ORX is either the 9" X-35 if you have milder ground to hunt on or the 9" HF coil if mineralization is a problem in your area. Both of these 9" coils are excellent for just about any detecting scenario including coin hunting.

If many of your sites have thick man-made iron or thick aluminum trash or both like some of mine, there is nothing like the HF 9.5" elliptical coil for speed and target separation.

The 9" HF coil is missing the lower frequencies below 14 kHz that the 9" X-35 has. The 9" X-35 coil does not have the higher frequencies above 28 kHz that the 9" HF coil has. They both have the 28 kHz frequency which can really help in thick iron trash since that higher frequency can unmask partially masked targets a little better so if you don't need the HFs frequencies above 28 kHz for gold prospecting like I do............Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom