Review: SEF 8X6 coil

Cladiator

Elite Member
OK,

I have had this for over a month and not even tried it out til a couple of days ago. I have only been MDing for about three months now so I was still getting the hang of the stock E-Trac Pro Coil. I was really getting confident with it and decided I needed to try out this new coil since I paid good money for it :)

Well I have to say that it does fit a need. I have gone back to two locations that I have previously hunted hard and often. At first I noticed that the "gain" of this coil is higher as the volume of signals seem to be much louder than the Pro Coil. After about three total hours of use now I can also say that it is a copper magnet. I have found copper pennies that I know that I have walked over many many times. They are ringing up in the dime range, but they seem to hit "harder". By this I mean that the tone and volume is louder and more distinct. I replaced the SEF 8X6 during a hunt yesterday to check myself. Sure enough, it does seem to have more loudness and impact when a good signal is encountered vs the Pro Coil. I don't quite understand how that could be, but I have heard this from other SEF users. Until I actually heard it for myself I just could not understand what they were referring to as coils are coils right :)

As far as its ability to detect deeper targets, I can not address that yet. All of my digs so far have been 6" or less.

I now know that I will have to have a SEF 12X10 coil very very soon! I still am not sure why but I trust what I hear and there is a big difference to my old ears. Targets were almost "spotlighted" with this coil vs the Pro Coil. It was really uncanny.

I've found far more silvers in the short time I've owned my 8x6 SEF and run it on my Whites than I ever did with all my other coils. The more you run the 8x6 the more you'll favor that coil IMO. I can't comment on the 12x10. Personally for the types of hunt areas around me, I feel that large coils get easily swamped due to ground minerals, and that may what you are hearing in the softer sounds from your stock coil. The 8x6 could just be the one to perform at the peak of the bell curve. You Etrac guys develop an ear for the soft tones so, who knows?, the 12x10 could prove me wrong. I predict though that you will spend lots more time swinging and dig less treasures per hour. That's why I find myself leaving my 10" D2 off my Whites and leave the 8x6 on most always. If anything, I will likely go down to my smallest coil which gets me stuff down to even 8 inches on a good day, and seperates like a "God-coil." My 4x6 dances in the trashy local parks.

Robo99 runs the 12x10 a lot, especially in the wide open areas and pulls silver where others don't. I like digging more often so I'll likely stay with the 8x6 on my Whites. You can't go wrong either way. martin

You could be totally correct Martin, but after using this I have to try the bigger SEF to see if it is anything like this 6x8 coil. I have spoken to a number of E-Trac users and they all seem to prefer the SEF10x12 as their everyday coil vs the Pro Coil for the same reason that I have stated. It just seems to "illuminate" the targets more distinctly than the Pro Coil does.
I have dug enough clad and silver rings now to justify buying something new for the E-Trac. I have never had a hobby that assisted in supporting my addition financially before :lol:

Back
Top Bottom