Orphan Annie Secret Decoder...

DoctorWhy

Had to get out metal detecting It was a cold, overcast, windy and with a sparse snow cover on the Maine island where I live. Despite that, I just had to get out of the house... Visited a permission with mid-1800's home and acres of fields.

Rewarded for the effort by a couple late-1800's/early-1900's silver plate spoons, a 1937 'Buffalo' nickle -- and this TREASURE: remnants of a 1939 Orphan Annie secret decoder pin. Shown are the one I found and a non-dug example.

Brings back memories of listening to Jean Shephard on late night WOR AM radio out of NYC as a kid. He frequently would recount his childhood memories, including a humorous experience with an Orphan Annie Decoder... Tales of the decoder are recounted in his 1983 seasonal classic movie "Christmas Story"

8-1-16-16-25---8-21-14-20-9-14-7

--Bert

Attachments

• OrphanAnnie1939_Decoder_sm.jpg
    OrphanAnnie1939_Decoder_sm.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 526
  • OrphanAnnie1939_Decoder_Example.jpg
    OrphanAnnie1939_Decoder_Example.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 494
Hey! I am in Sebec. Prob'ly not too far away. Nice stuff and congrats. Do any fishing for Blackfish come May-June? Most Mainers don't even know what they are. They LOVE those invasive green crabs. Use the small crabs, about a 50 cent piece size, live, for bait. I use 80 lb test leaders and 40 lb mono for line. Used to pull em on the jetties back in Jersey. If I lived where you do I'd be rolling in 'em. Taste JUST like lobster. But you gotta fish right in the rocks. Mostly need at least 6 ft of water. Deepers always better tho. Piling are okay too. They eat barnacles and limpets right off the structure. Any crustacean is on their menu.

Back
Top Bottom