Business cards for treasure hunters

dan

Elite Member

Many treasure hunters are missing a good bet by not using "hobby" business cards to promote themselves.

A well-thought-out card can open doors for you. It can get you onto private properties that are otherwise closed to treasure hunters.

In this show, we take another look at the do's and don'ts of business cards. (See show #77 for our first discussion of cards).

Why a card can be TOO good-looking, why it can scare people away, with several tips about what NOT to put on your treasure hunting business card.

Listen to this short program at http://thetreasurecorner.com.

I just give them my work business card that has "Permit Biologist" for a very large energy company. That usually puts away some fears.

Totally disagree, think cards are bad and even worse now with the tv shows. It's like wearing a suit when you knock on the door.

ya, i agree. looks too much like a business or a person tring to make a profit and not doing it for a fun hobby. although it would be nice to pay off at least the detector :)

Hmmm. May be a key to get onto places you might never get to detect.

Maybe offer to pay the owner of the 1800's home spot for all silver coins found. hmmmm.

I have had several people come up to me this week inquiring about the hobby and asking metal detecting related questions. I wish I had some cards in my pocket for those situations. I am going to get some cards printed or print some myself.

i have a card and offer it to homeowners so they can easily get ahold of me, i also gave one to the township building in my area so i'm known in my area and also incase they need my assistance in locating anything.......they are also handy ta give out to chicks at parks since it has my number :lol:

Business cards = great idea! Just this past Tuesday I was at the park doing my thing and had a city parks employee drive up in his pick'up and advise me that I was in the wrong place , I told him its been pretty good so far. He advised me that the city had just demolished a home that was built in the early 1900's I said to him well how would I go about getting permission to hunt that area , he looked at me kind of like when I try talking to my puppy..... Then he gives me his business card with his cellphone number and told me to follow him he proceeds to take me to the site and said have at it! It was a great hunt , he told me to call him as he always has places he knows of where I could swing next up would be an old farm house.

I view business cards as a good thing if used right. I would NOT go knocking on doors handing out cards. However, if someone approaches me and starts up a conversation about metal detecting, then THEY opened to door and leaving a card would be appropriate. That is how networking is done.

See? I knew that marketing degree would pay off at some point! LOL

I view business cards as a good thing if used right. I would NOT go knocking on doors handing out cards. However, if someone approaches me and starts up a conversation about metal detecting, then THEY opened to door and leaving a card would be appropriate. That is how networking is done.

See? I knew that marketing degree would pay off at some point! LOL

Excellent point there, and I wish I'd mentioned it in the show.

Can I call you when I need a marketing director?

I have been thinking about this for some time now, and was going to design something this winter, but never got around to it. I will definitely check this out. Thanks for the post.

How many times have you knocked on a door or talked to a person who was ok with you detecting but not at the moment, or random conversations with strangers that opens the door to a possibility? I'm constantly needing a pen, or asking them to write my number down. A card is soo much more professional, and it gives the impression that you actually take this hobby seriously. anyone who thinks a business card is a bad idea, certainly doesn't live in my world.

I view business cards as a good thing if used right. I would NOT go knocking on doors handing out cards. However, if someone approaches me and starts up a conversation about metal detecting, then THEY opened to door and leaving a card would be appropriate.

good point, that's how it should be done :)
getting ready to make mine :p

Totally disagree, think cards are bad and even worse now with the tv shows. It's like wearing a suit when you knock on the door.

I'm half on and half off with your quote. I think cards can be an asset once you learn who to give them to and at what point in your conversation you hand it over.Theres not much out there that will help if you can't read the person your talking to within the first couple sentenses. Not just an opinion, i spent my life dealing with the public, using cards was a very useful tool along the way.

They've been awesome for me. And I dress up when I get permissions too (or usually just dressed well for work.)

I wasn't able to open the link (having computer isues), so this might be off base a bit. Regarding the title of the thread, I'd be cautious of using the phrase "Treasure Hunter" on a business card. Other than that, I agree that a business card would be an asset when people approach you to discuss your hobby. A card would be much more professional and easier to hold on to than a scrap of paper with your name and number scribbled on it. Curt

I wasn't able to open the link (having computer isues), so this might be off base a bit. Regarding the title of the thread, I'd be cautious of using the phrase "Treasure Hunter" on a business card.

Yep, Curt, you don't put "treasure hunter" on your card! Sorry you couldn't hear the show - if you send me your email address ([email protected]), I'll email you a copy of the show.

---Dan

Back
Top Bottom