Awaiting a phone call

Usa

Elite Member
Well,I got on Historic Map Works and found that the lot next to our post office used to be a feed mill in the 1800-early 1900's.Next stop was Beacon,I clicked on the lot and the guys name popped up.So I searched his name and found another place,his house.So I sent him a letter telling him what I do and who I am,explaining to him that I wanted to find something old during my summer break.I finished it up with leaving my phone number and telling him that whatever he decides I would respect his decision.Now..... what do you all think he will say, yes or no.Be honest, I want to know what to expect.

I have written letters and sent them with my business card enclosed, and most of them don't respond, but I have gotten my few good permissions that way. For example, I sent a letter two months ago to the owner of some historic farmland. Didn't hear anything until I got an unexpected text message last week granting me access to his land. Didn't think he would ever get back to me. So don't lose hope and keep trying. :-)

Oldest coin dug- 1927 wheatie.

I think you have a chance. Probably a better chance as a young-un than us old men would have. The best way to get more permissions is to ask more people.

.... and most of them don't respond,....

Yes. Because think of it: What do YOU tend to do, with junk mail from total strangers. Throw it away, right ? And what do YOU tend to do with sales calls from total strangers ? Hang up, right ?

Thus the best way is to "catch them on their front porch", so-to-speak. Find out where they hang out. Or catch them parking in their driveway (when you "just happened to be walking by".). And regale them with your history research, "for an article you're writing", blah blah.

What type lot is this ? A vacant lot with no signs ? Or a fenced lot or signed lot ?

Yes,But how many letters do you get handwritten from a kid each year? I am hoping that will increase my chances a little. But I agree, talking to them in person is the best way.

Well I'll take it any time someone gets back to me. It doesn't cost a great deal to mail out a letter with a card. If people don't respond, oh well. It has worked for me a few times including this last one. And it should be a good one :-) Can't wait to get out there.
Yes. Because think of it: What do YOU tend to do, with junk mail from total strangers. Throw it away, right ? And what do YOU tend to do with sales calls from total strangers ? Hang up, right ?

Thus the best way is to "catch them on their front porch", so-to-speak. Find out where they hang out. Or catch them parking in their driveway (when you "just happened to be walking by".). And regale them with your history research, "for an article you're writing", blah blah.

What type lot is this ? A vacant lot with no signs ? Or a fenced lot or signed lot ?

Oldest coin dug- 1927 wheatie.

I don't want anyone pressing charges,lol.

Maybe there's a mental perception difference in "vacant lot" vs "vacant lot".

When I read "vacant lot", (given your description of no signs, no fences, etc...) I'm imagining a corner type lot, with a short-cut trail across it, abandoned shopping carts, strewn weeds, etc.... Versus something adjoining someone's house or whatever ??

Getting a reply----Slim and none, and Slim left town yesterday.:D
Marvin

I don't care if I am the prime suspect, they cant do any thing without proof.

Back
Top Bottom