Rocky Road

OzarkDetector

So, new to seriously wanting to do this hobby, here in North Central Arkansas, the normal backyard or parks soil is compacted dirt, perhaps with some clay mixed in, with rocks. A lot of rocks.
The joke in the area is that everyone grows rocks. That is because, as time goes by, the rocks, some the size of bricks, get pushed to the surface. Now I'm sure there is some science behind this, but if rocks continually "grow" to the surface, why don't all the coins, bottle caps, iron, and jewelry do that?

I have found a screwdriver, or gasket scraper, and a hammer, are the best tools after a hand digger. If you know of a better way how to dig in this soil, let me know. I currently have the digger by White's.

Welcome from Winnsboro, South Carolina !!!!

Try this........ ........just kidding :lol: We have clay that can get really tough after a dry spell, it's usually easier after a rainy period.
jackhammer.jpg

:mder:_____:mder: _____:mder:_____:mder:

I have found a screwdriver, or gasket scraper, and a hammer, are the best tools after a hand digger. If you know of a better way how to dig in this soil, let me know. I currently have the digger by White's.

Same here. Break it up with the screw driver and scoop it out.

BCD

. Now I'm sure there is some science behind this, but if rocks continually "grow" to the surface, why don't all the coins, bottle caps, iron, and jewelry do that?

Oddly enough it has to do with mass and surface.. rocks are heavier than a nickel but also has more surface area for the heave to push up against..

Scientific explanation? hells no.. but coming from someone who had to pick rocks to clear the fields each spring.. it's the best I can come up with.. ;)

I hear you. I'm not far from you in Fulton county. It's a challenge to find anywhere that isn't a challenge to dig . I spend a lot of time trying to keep the rocks picked up in the yard just so I can mow. I have a new crop to harvest each year lol. Also funny how many coins I find underneath rocks . i'm not sure how that happens. i actually found a clad quarter today under a couple of flat rocks about 6" down. I usually dig with a small shovel and when rocks get in the way I dig them out with my Lesche.

I hear you. I'm not far from you in Fulton county. It's a challenge to find anywhere that isn't a challenge to dig .

Watching numerous videos of people making the perfect plug, in under a minute, makes me a bit envious. I guess the grass really is greener on the other side.
I dug a few spots in my backyard yesterday, did so poorly filling them back in, I immediately went and apologized to my wife.
I'm still determined to do better though.

I use the whites digmaster if there is more dirt than rocks. When there is more rocks than dirt I use the Treasure-wise knife. It's a little narrower and works good for wiggling around small rocks. When it's all rock I use a screwdriver and hammer.
TW-knife-and-sheath-1024x1024.jpg

I have a spot like that, I have brought a full size pick axe to get at some signals under the road, much easier than trying to use a regular digger.

Ok, so not wearing gloves, (soft skin entire life, even though worked hard, lol), I've already given the middle of my palm a nice big juicy blister .. .. and it's from hitting the top of the screwdriver one too many times, driving it into the ground, and around all the rocks.
Any tools out there that are small like a screwdriver, but with a T handle?

Ok, so not wearing gloves, (soft skin entire life, even though worked hard, lol), I've already given the middle of my palm a nice big juicy blister .. .. and it's from hitting the top of the screwdriver one too many times, driving it into the ground, and around all the rocks.
Any tools out there that are small like a screwdriver, but with a T handle?

I recommend gloves.
I got started 7 months ago and recently discovered callouses on the inside of each thumb from the detector grip.
Only worn gloves to detect in the dirt and that was 1 time. Haha
I'll be using them from here on out.

Back
Top Bottom