Quitting

That's why I like beach hunting. You can be like a duck. Every day is a brand new day and the digging is easy.

Many times I am out, ecpecially in less than favorable conditions I have thoughts. A little voice in the back of my mind says "what are you doing here" . I tell myself that the kids are grown...house payed off and I deserve to have this fun after working my life away. My character has NEVER been the "i'll do it later" kind of guy but I seem to be getting there now. Don't get me wrong, I get the needed work done but I don't go looking for those little repairs around the house to keep things running smooth.
Depending on your detecting style, you must consider other things too, like wear on the body. I track myself when in fields and I have recently played with measuring the distance I walk. In one small field I covered over 2 months was over 22 miles walking. I don't know that I will ever give it up for good but I have been thinking of slowing down a good bit. Currently it is not uncommon for me to be out swinging an hour or two every evening and most of the day on weekends. Maybe make detecting just a weekend thing.

The only way I would quit is if physically I would be unable to dig plugs. I love doing this hobby and look forward to the hunt. Yes, most of my finds are clads but I still love the thrill of the hunt.

Only been doing this about a year, so no I haven't thought about quitting. I do find myself getting frustrated at the lack of productive sites, though. I can be difficult to find places worth detecting. I've found a couple of places that "look" promising and then turn out to be a bust, or find out that the site has been covered with fill at some recent point. Don't think I'd quit. I enjoy doing the research and investigating the history of potential sites....HH

actually gave up twice since 1988

used the fisher gold bug in the in the north georgia gold belt once a month with my kids for two years starting in 1988. Kids loved digging and panning for gold and yes we found some gold, but mostly flakes and tiny nuggets bb sized. Not sure why I quit, maybe business demands or kids getting older.

Sold our two metal detectors Fisher gold bug and Garret ADS.

about five years ago purchased a Fisher ID Edge and hunted off and on for about a year and sold it. I expected miracles out of the ID readings and did not take time to listen to the tones.

Three years ago purchased my AT Pro and after six months was frustrated by lack of good finds (north Atlanta burbs) and was about to give up again. But reading this forum decide that I must hunt in the pro all metal mode and learn to hunt by ear. My finds improved in quality and quantity. Also learned to use the internet to do proper research.

Last week ordered and received my Equinox 800 two-three days after I placed the order because the small dealer had one in stock. Doc's metal detecting in las vegas. He is a minelab authorized small dealer. Strong hint: keep checking small authorized minelab dealers. They are small and don't a huge customer base like the large dealers. The large dealers have large waiting lists and a small allocation. small dealers have a small customer base and a decent allocation each week.

So now I am as fired up more than I have ever been. Went back of super trashy park area with my 800 to see how it would perform, and i mean super trashy. found a .925 ring with aquamarine stone and maybe very, very small diamond within 30 minutes.

Still learning the 800 but now have enough experience to really take the time and put in the hours on a new machine to get the most out of it along with finding good sites to hunt.

Love getting out of the house (I work on the computer too much) and the prospect of finding treasure plus it is good exercise.

Attachments

• ring925may152018web.jpg
    ring925may152018web.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 124
Every pull tab or bottle cap I say to myself “I could be doing so many other things right now” but then every coin or ring I say “this is a great hobby”

Because Nebraska parks are the most hunted out parks in the country. I would bet we have more detectors per capita than any state. And yea I hunt houses but I just enjoy the solitude of parks

does nebraska have one road that goes through the whole state or is that north dakota? I think its intersate 80? north dakota has the 94? Ive only been through the side of kansas and part of nebraska but its flat and bismal imo... nice place to visit...:lol:

The only way I would quit is if physically I would be unable to dig plugs. I love doing this hobby and look forward to the hunt. Yes, most of my finds are clads but I still love the thrill of the hunt.

yep physically I twisted my ankle and it hurt. type 2 I think it was which is extreme imo. gosh I didnt want to even get up outta my chair to use the restroom.:mad:

I have taken several sabbaticals from the hobby for various reasons but seem to always come back to it. I always have one detector that I hold on to (usually a turn and go) so if I see a new place then I have something to scout it out with. A couple of years back, I moved from NE Texas where I had several places to hunt regularly and everyone knew me to Central Texas where it was illegal to metal detect in most parks and I knew nobody. It has been somewhat frustrating but I joined a club and learned about some places to go. I also started water detecting in the rivers that are nearby. I am retired so I have plenty of time to detect so I don't see myself giving the hobby up unless my pain from my RA gets so bad that I just can't go anymore.

I’ve been at it for 42 years on and off. Hit it hard the last half dozen years. Only thing that gets to me occasionally is having to get in the door knock mood. Public areas for the most part have been hammered to death. Now the older and newer schools are all being fenced to keep the public out. Right now I’m in a new location that doesn’t seem very door knock friendly so I haven’t been out since I got here a month ago.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

does nebraska have one road that goes through the whole state or is that north dakota? I think its intersate 80? north dakota has the 94? Ive only been through the side of kansas and part of nebraska but its flat and bismal imo... nice place to visit...:lol:

WE may not have an ocean but we have incredible scenery if you get off the interstate. We also don't have a moon-bat governor running our state into the ground.

Sure, sometimes I'm just feeling too tired to chase the next possibility. Farms in NYS are slowly dying and turning into McMansion estates, far more people are less inclined to grant permissions, and parks here are pretty much killed - after 20+ years of detecting, I just want old yards and farm fields, I'm done with parks personally.

Because Nebraska parks are the most hunted out parks in the country. I would bet we have more detectors per capita than any state. And yea I hunt houses but I just enjoy the solitude of parks

Seriously? There are probably more detectors in MA than there are people in Nebraska.

How far are you from the beach?

For 2 reasons: Beach detecting is easier and if you are in eastern Conn. I would be worried about lyme disease in the woods. I have a niece who has it for the last 20 years.

I did for a while I just lost interest in it for a while. Then one day in the winter of 2018, I suddenly became interested again. I almost sold off my detector and gear. Now I'm glad it kept it all.

Being in SW Michigan and a water hunter it is a limited hunting season here. I don't think about quitting, I think about moving South to be able to hunt year round.

Back
Top Bottom