A Howdy From Tucson :D

JoeySkylynx

Hey guys I'm from Tucson! Ha. I was actually born in Buffalo though. I've come here to ask if anyone knows if it's legal to search on mountain trails. The other day my father,and I went ,and found a lot of old bullets ,and a knife(which registered as tin foil XD )

Hey Joey....I live in Vail so we're neighbors. As to your question I believe the answer is this.....Who owns the land ????

Note: Most cities in Arizona require a city permit to metal detect in that city's parks. Please check with city authorities to see if a permit is required.

A no-charge Tucson metal detecting permit can be obtained at the Tucson Parks & Recreation Department offices:

Northwest District Office - 900 South Randolph Way 791-4873
Southwest District Office - 4208 South Santa Rita 791-5950
East District Office - 8257 East Broadway 791-5930

Oro Valley
Oro Valley Parks and Recreation requires a permit to metal detect in their three (3) parks. Call 229-5050 and request an application. Fill out the application, send it back. They will "validate" your application and send it back.

Marana
Marana Parks and Recreation does not require permits. They require that holes be filled and request that trash be removed. If you have questions call 682-3324.

Tucson Prohibited Areas
No metal detecting is allowed at Tucson's Fort Lowell Park and El Presidio Plaza. Additionally, no metal detecting is allowed in the immediate downtown Courthouse area.

Pima County
Currently, Pima County does not issue metal detecting permits for its parks and no metal detecting is allowed on any Pima County property.
Local Schools
Some local schools will allow metal detecting if permission is requested, check with each school. It is best to get written permission or have someone with authority sign a written permission statement you create.

Local Arizona State Parks
Arizona State parks can be metal detected after checking with the Park Ranger about any restricted areas.

Local National Parks
No metal detecting is allowed on National Parks.

Be very very careful where you swing your coil in Arizona.....Dont say I didnt warn you........:shock:

Best piece of advise to staying out of BIG trouble.....Get permission !!!!!

Welcome to the forum from Vancouver, WA.........Tuscon........One of my favorite places!!!

If I can ever get my camera working I'll take a few pics of the items I found ,but I believe I should check with the local rangers from Sabino Canyon to see what their go is on metal detecting.

I also live in tucson----got my city park permit last week----detecting is ok,no digging---county parks, no permit, detecting ok.no digging---school property--get permission,be prepared to hear no

Most city, county and state parks in AZ are open to metal detecting with permission. This "digging" rule is talking about permenant damage, not to trap door or slicing to remove an object. Always refill your holes!

All U.S. National Forest are open to metal detecting except in areas that are historical or archaeological sites (these sites must be posted according to the law). There are 4 types of detecting on U.S. Forest lands, 2 do not require a permit and 2 do. Hunting a "Treasure Trove" ie Lost Dutchman Mine and archaeological sites do require a permit. Hunting for coins and other objects not protected by the ARPA and prospecting does not.

Lots of places to use a detector in AZ, as it is one of the most friendly States in the Union.

Back
Top Bottom