Tetanus... how bout it

(Heavy)

Elite Member
Why is it important to prevent tetanus?

Tetanus is a disease caused by a bacterial infection. The tetanus bacteria get in a wound through a break in the skin or mucous membrane. A cut, puncture wound, deep scrape, deep burn, or any injury that breaks the skin or mucous membrane are called wounds.

The bacteria make a toxin, or poison, that causes severe muscle spasms and seizures. Tetanus is also called "lockjaw" because muscle spasms in your jaw make it hard to open your mouth. This makes it hard to swallow or breathe. Tetanus can be very dangerous and can cause death. The best way to prevent the disease is to have a tetanus shot if you need one.

How can I tell if I need a tetanus shot?
To decide if you need a tetanus shot, first decide if the object that caused the wound was dirty or clean. An object is dirty if it has dirt, soil, spit, or feces on it. A clean object does not have dirt, soil, spit, or feces on it. <----you don't say
You will need a tetanus shot if:

•Your wound was caused by something that was clean and your last tetanus shot was longer than 10 years ago.
•Your wound was caused by something that was dirty and your last tetanus shot was longer than 5 years ago.
•You are not sure if your wound was caused by something clean or dirty and your last tetanus shot was longer than 5 years ago.
•You are not sure when you had your last tetanus shot.
•You did not get the first series of tetanus shots (primary vaccination series).
If you need a tetanus shot, call your doctor to arrange for a shot.

Nurse... I think I need one of those Tetanus shots
mac.jpg
I dig up crap...from the soil...and spit on it...every day.

I got a booster last year. I keep up to date on those things. I am always getting cut or scraped by something on my father-in-laws ranch. I don't like injections much (one of my two true phobias), but once every 10 years, I can live with.

Doug

I get stitches so often i dont even keep track of them any more, if you get stitches automatic tet. shot.I am kinda clumsy.

I started out working for ServPro running my own crew...mostly water damages, smoke damages and the ever fun suicide cleanups and "backups"....the worst house was this girl who was going to Kendall School of Art and Design and she had about 200-300 shirts she had designed/made and the floor drain decided to clear itself.....3' high on the walls...all of her stuff was ruined.......i was a tentanus shot junkie.

I was getting hurt so often I was getting a shot every other year or so. I would tell the Doc I just got one a year or two ago........LOL, no matter they would give me one anyway. Now it has been awhile.....knock on wood..guess am due again

I started out working for ServPro running my own crew...mostly water damages, smoke damages and the ever fun suicide cleanups and "backups"....the worst house was this girl who was going to Kendall School of Art and Design and she had about 200-300 shirts she had designed/made and the floor drain decided to clear itself.....3' high on the walls...all of her stuff was ruined.......i was a tentanus shot junkie.

I don't understand what happened and i read it many times :?:

Back
Top Bottom