I Only Want To Detect Gold Jewelry Question

Loop

I read an article by "George Payne", the engineer that initially engineered the ground canceling, target id & discriminating circuitry. He stated that the best frequency to use for U.S. nickels & gold jewelry is 16.5 khz. If what he stated is fact, wouldn't it be logical to acquire a detector on or near 16.5 khz? One would believe that it would have an advantage. I am aware that there are many people that have found gold jewelry at frequencies much lower than the above. Just a thought to throw out into the forum.

I am sure it is true. But I still think the name of the game is location.
A good example would be finding gold jewelry in the woods vs the beach
after a heatwave. Any detector out there will find gold jewerly just
do an air test with your machine and some gold, it will pick it up no problem.

I think the Khz is more important in nugget hunting, when gold
is the size of a bb or smaller. Plus I would not just limit my self
to gold jewerly hunting as pull tab digging gets old fast and I like to mix up
my digging with more high tone targets and with some iron relics thrown in
to the mix etc. So maybe a mid KHz detector would be better for all purpose
use.

As far as metal detecting goes, GOLD is a broad category that encompasses anything from the tiniest gold stud earring (micro gold) to a big hulking Double Eagle.

Thus, the operating frequency of the detector becomes important if you want to hunt micro gold. For anything bigger, I contend that any frequency will do.

Case in point is this tiny ring I found last Summer with the Ace 250, which operates at a frequency of 6.5 KHz
tiny_ring.JPG

As you can see the gold ring is very small. If I remember right, this rang up as foil.

So, it is my humble opinion that hunting for gold with a metal detector is primarily a game of determination and persistence and not a game of frequency. As someone smarter than me put it, "You hunt for gold with your mind, you extract gold with your metal detector"

Then again, I'm just a schmuck and everything I say should most definitely be questioned :D

HH!

As far as metal detecting goes, GOLD is a broad category that encompasses anything from the tiniest gold stud earring (micro gold) to a big hulking Double Eagle.

Thus, the operating frequency of the detector becomes important if you want to hunt micro gold. For anything bigger, I contend that any frequency will do.

Case in point is this tiny ring I found last Summer with the Ace 250, which operates at a frequency of 6.5 KHz
View attachment 163163

As you can see the gold ring is very small. If I remember right, this rang up as foil.

So, it is my humble opinion that hunting for gold with a metal detector is primarily a game of determination and persistence and not a game of frequency. As someone smarter than me put it, "You hunt for gold with your mind, you extract gold with your
metal detector"

Then again, I'm just a schmuck and everything I say should most definitely be questioned :D

HH!

I agree with ya PM! My 250 has found several sizes of gold.

I read an article by "George Payne", the engineer that initially engineered the ground canceling, target id & discriminating circuitry. He stated that the best frequency to use for U.S. nickels & gold jewelry is 16.5 khz. If what he stated is fact, wouldn't it be logical to acquire a detector on or near 16.5 khz? One would believe that it would have an advantage. I am aware that there are many people that have found gold jewelry at frequencies much lower than the above. Just a thought to throw out into the forum.

Sounds fairly straight forward doesn't it? Unfortunately there are other variables. Look at this example.. The Fisher Goldbug II, which I have a couple-of-thousand-hours on, operates at 71kHz. I have found pickers the size of a BB at 7" deep with this detector. I also find a lot of birdshot from Dove hunters!

Now, my Tesoro Lobo Super Traq and I have been together for about 1,900-hours, and he operates at 17.8kHz, just like his cousin, the Whites GMT. The Lobo detects just as well as the Goldbug II on gold, and picks up gold chains with ease.

The coil type and size, electronics and filtering all play a role in dedicated gold machines which are ALL METAL, all the time. Do some more research, and stack up all that small shallow gold until you have enough for a Minelab GPX 5000 :cool:

I have found gold with my F2, Compadre and my Vaquero which range from 5.9kHz to 14.7kHz.

Really small stuff a dedicated gold machine or the Compadre is your best bet, deep and small or extremely small you had better listen to Terry.

Otherwise, all of the 8 gold rings I have found and the one chain were all found at a 3-4" depth or less and I think any detector could have found these if the disc was set correctly.

In regular hunting sites, (not area that you are looking for tiny gold nuggets), I think it is more about being lucky enough to get your coil over it than the frequency of that coil.

Back
Top Bottom